Electricity prices in the Finnish retail market
AbstractThis study focuses, firstly, on the pricing of electricity in the Finnish retail market. In particular, the impact of the ownership structure on prices is tested empirically. Secondly, the influence of low-cost electricity sources on retail prices is considered. The question about whether the average fuel costs rather than the wholesale price determine the retail prices is thus addressed. The supply side behaviour characterised may explain the passivity of client activity in the seemingly competitive Finnish market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
Retail electricity prices Ownership structure Average cost pricing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"State Versus Private Ownership,"
NBER Working Papers
6665, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State Versus Private Ownership," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1841, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Amundsen, Eirik S. & Bergman, Lars, 2007. "Integration of multiple national markets for electricity: The case of Norway and Sweden," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3383-3394, June.
- Littlechild, S., 2005.
"Competition and contracts in the Nordic Residential Electricity Markets,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0550, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Littlechild, Stephen, 2006. "Competition and contracts in the Nordic residential electricity markets," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 135-147, September.
- Peltzman, Sam, 1971. "Pricing in Public and Private Enterprises: Electric Utilities in the United States," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(1), pages 109-47, April.
- Funkhouser, Richard & MacAvoy, Paul W., 1979. "A sample of observations on comparative prices in public and private enterprises," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 353-368, June.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971.
"Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972. "Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Sven Schreiber, 2008. "The Hausman Test Statistic can be Negative even Asymptotically," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 228(4), pages 394-405, August.
- Heikki Kemppi & Adriaan Perrels, 2003. "Liberalised Electricity Markets - Strengths and Weaknesses in Finland and Nordpool," Research Reports 97, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Joskow, P.L., 2003.
"The Difficult Transition to Competitive Electricity Markets in the U.S,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0328, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Joskow, Paul L., 2003. "The Difficult Transition to Competitive Electricity Markets in the U.S," Working paper 207, Regulation2point0.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2003. "The Difficult Transition to Competitive Electricity Markets in the U.S," Working Papers 0308, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Bertrand, Olivier & Zitouna, Habib, 2005.
"Domestic versus Cross-Border Acquisitions: Which Impact on the Target Frims' Performance?,"
Working Paper Series
647, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Olivier Bertrand & Habib Zitouna, 2008. "Domestic versus cross-border acquisitions: which impact on the target firms' performance?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(17), pages 2221-2238.
- Green, Richard, 2000. "Can Competition Replace Regulation for Small Utility Customers?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2406, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berry, Dan Michael, 1994. "Private Ownership Form and Productive Efficiency: Electric Cooperatives versus Investor-Owned Utilities," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 399-420, December.
- William M. Emmons, 1997. "Implications Of Ownership, Regulation, And Market Structure For Performance: Evidence From The U.S. Electric Utility Industry Before And After The New Deal," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 279-289, May.
- Altunbas, Yener & Evans, Lynne & Molyneux, Philip, 2001. "Bank Ownership and Efficiency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 926-54, November.
- Olsen, Ole Jess & Johnsen, Tor Arnt & Lewis, Philip, 2006. "A Mixed Nordic Experience: Implementing Competitive Retail Electricity Markets for Household Customers," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(9), pages 37-44, November.
- repec:reg:rpubli:207 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kang, Linhong & Zarnikau, Jay, 2009. "Did the expiration of retail price caps affect prices in the restructured Texas electricity market?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1713-1717, May.
- Boardman, Anthony E & Vining, Aidan R, 1989. "Ownership and Performance in Competitive Environments: A Comparison of the Performance of Private, Mixed, and State-Owned Enterprises," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 1-33, April.
- Nils-Henrik M. von der Fehr & Petter Vegard Hansen, 2010.
"Electricity Retailing in Norway,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 25-46.
- Nils-Henrik M. Von Der Fehr & Petter Vegard Hansen, 2009. "Electricity Retailing in Norway," RSCAS Working Papers 2009/04, European University Institute.
- von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik M. & Hansen, Petter Vegard, 2008. "Electricity Retailing in Norway," Memorandum 02/2009, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Nils-Henrik M. Von Der Fehr & Petter Vegard Hansen, 2009. "Electricity Retailing in Norway," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 4, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Giulietti, Monica & Otero, Jesus & Waterson, Michael, 2007.
"Pricing behaviour under competition in the UK electricity supply industry,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
790, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Monica Giulietti & Jesus Otero & Michael Waterson, 2010. "Pricing behaviour under competition in the UK electricity supply industry," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(3), pages 478-503, July.
- Bhattacharyya, Arunava & Harris, Thomas R. & Narayanan, Rangesan & Raffiee, Kambiz, 1995. "Specification and estimation of the effect of ownership on the economic efficiency of the water utilities," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 759-784, December.
- Defeuilley, Christophe, 2009. "Retail competition in electricity markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 377-386, February.
- Zarnikau, Jay & Fox, Marilyn & Smolen, Paul, 2007. "Trends in prices to commercial energy consumers in the competitive Texas electricity market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 4332-4339, August.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1998. "Relative performance of public and private ownership under yardstick competition: electricity retail distribution," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 97-122, January.
- Orley Ashenfelter & David Card, 1984.
"Using the Longitudinal Structure of Earnings to Estimate the Effect of Training Programs,"
NBER Working Papers
1489, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Card, David, 1985. "Using the Longitudinal Structure of Earnings to Estimate the Effect of Training Programs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(4), pages 648-60, November.
- Orley Ashenfelter & David Card, 1984. "Using the Longitudinal Structure of Earnings to Estimate the Effect of Training Programs," Working Papers 554, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- G. David Haushalter, 2000. "Financing Policy, Basis Risk, and Corporate Hedging: Evidence from Oil and Gas Producers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 107-152, 02.
- John Kwoka, 2005. "The comparative advantage of public ownership: evidence from U.S. electric utilities," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(2), pages 622-640, May.
- Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Veiderpass, Ann, 1992. " Productivity in Swedish Electricity Retail Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S193-205, Supplemen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.