Assessment of the impact of the European CO2 emissions trading scheme on the Portuguese chemical industry
AbstractThis paper describes an assessment of the impact of the enforcement of the European carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions trading scheme on the Portuguese chemical industry, based on cost structure, CO2 emissions, electricity consumption and allocated allowances data from a survey to four Portuguese representative units of the chemical industry sector, and considering scenarios that allow the estimation of increases on both direct and indirect production costs. These estimated cost increases were also compared with similar data from other European Industries, found in the references and with conclusions from simulation studies. Thus, it was possible to ascertain the impact of buying extra CO2 emission permits, which could be considered as limited. It was also found that this impact is somewhat lower than the impacts for other industrial sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
CO2 emissions European emissions trading scheme Portuguese chemical industry;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- CO2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- emi - - - - - -
- Eur - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - - - -
- emi - - - - - -
- tra - - - - - -
- sch - - - - - -
- Por - Economic Systems - - - - -
- che - - - - - -
- ind - - - - - -
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rammerstorfer, Margarethe & Eisl, Roland, 2011. "Carbon capture and storage—Investment strategies for the future?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 7103-7111.
- Raphael Calel & Antoine Dechezlepretre, 2012.
"Environmental Policy and Directed Technological Change: Evidence from the European carbon market,"
1208, Chaire Economie du Climat.
- Raphael Calel & Antoine Dechezleprêtre, 2012. "Environmental Policy and Directed Technological Change: Evidence from the European Carbon Market," Working Papers 2012.22, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Raphael Calel & Antoine Dechezleprêtre, 2012. "Environmental Policy and Directed Technological Change: Evidence from the European Carbon Market," CEP Discussion Papers dp1141, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Rafael Calel & Antoine Dechezleprêtre, 2012. "Environmental policy and directed technological change: evidence from the European carbon maket," Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers 75, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.