CCS from the gas-fired power station at Kårstø? A commercial analysis
AbstractSummary The article presents a commercial investment analysis of the carbon capture project at the Kårstø gas processing plant in south-western Norway. We update an earlier analysis and critically review the methods used--including those applied for cost estimating. Our conclusion is that carbon capture and storage (CCS) at Kårstø would be a very unprofitable climate measure with poor cost efficiency. It would require more than USD 1.7 billion1 in subsidies, or in excess of USD 133 million per year. That corresponds to a subsidy of roughly USD 0.1 per kWh on the power station's electricity output. The cost per tonne of carbon emissions abated is about USD 333, which is about 20 times the international carbon emission allowance price and many times higher than alternative domestic climate measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
Climate projects Decision analyses CCS;
Other versions of this item:
- Osmundsen, Petter & Emhjellen, Magne, 2010. "CCS from the gas-fired power station at Kårstø A commercial analysis," UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2010/1, University of Stavanger.
- A10 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osmundsen, Petter, 2009. "Time consistency in Petroleum Taxation - The case of Norway," UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2009/18, University of Stavanger.
- Osmundsen, Petter & Emhjellen, Magne, 2010. "Decision criteria for climate projects," UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2010/2, University of Stavanger.
- Emhjellen, Kjetil & Emhjellen, Magne & Osmundsen, Petter, 2002. "Investment cost estimates and investment decisions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 91-96, January.
- Emhjellen, Magne & Osmundsen, Petter, 2012. "Rate of return requirement for climate versus petroleum projects," UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2012/7, University of Stavanger.
- Magne Emhjellen & Petter Osmundsen, 2013.
"CCS - Failing to Pass Decision Gates,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4525, CESifo Group Munich.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.