A real option-based simulation model to evaluate investments in pump storage plants
AbstractInvestments in pump storage plants are expected to grow especially due to their ability to store an excess of supply from wind power plants. In order to evaluate these investments correctly the peculiarities of pump storage plants and the characteristics of liberalized power markets have to be considered. The main characteristics of power markets are the strong power price volatility and the occurrence of prices spikes. In this article a valuation model is developed capturing these aspects using power price simulation, optimization of unit commitment and capital market theory. This valuation model is able to value a future price-based unit commitment planning that corresponds to future scope of actions also called real options. The resulting real option value for the pump storage plant is compared with the traditional net present value approach. Because this approach is not able to evaluate scope of actions correctly it results in strongly smaller investment values and forces wrong investment decisions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
Real option Simulation Pump storage plant;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knittel, Christopher R. & Roberts, Michael R., 2005. "An empirical examination of restructured electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 791-817, September.
- Huisman, R. & Huurman, C. & Mahieu, R.J., 2007.
"Hourly electricity prices in day-ahead markets,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3131737, Tilburg University.
- Huisman, R. & Huurman, C. & Mahieu, R.J., 2007. "Hourly Electricity Prices in Day-Ahead Markets," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2007-002-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Kanamura, Takashi & Ohashi, Kazuhiko, 2007. "A structural model for electricity prices with spikes: Measurement of spike risk and optimal policies for hydropower plant operation," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1010-1032, September.
- Benitez, Liliana E. & Benitez, Pablo C. & van Kooten, G. Cornelis, 2008.
"The economics of wind power with energy storage,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1973-1989, July.
- Mount, Timothy D. & Ning, Yumei & Cai, Xiaobin, 2006. "Predicting price spikes in electricity markets using a regime-switching model with time-varying parameters," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 62-80, January.
- Vieira, F. & Ramos, H.M., 2008. "Hybrid solution and pump-storage optimization in water supply system efficiency: A case study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4142-4148, November.
- Crespo Cuaresma, Jesús & Hlouskova, Jaroslava & Kossmeier, Stephan & Obersteiner, Michael, 2004. "Forecasting electricity spot-prices using linear univariate time-series models," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 87-106, January.
- Laurikka, Harri, 2006. "Option value of gasification technology within an emissions trading scheme," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3916-3928, December.
- Cavallaro, Fausto & Ciraolo, Luigi, 2005. "A multicriteria approach to evaluate wind energy plants on an Italian island," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 235-244, January.
- Daniel Ziegler & Katrin Schmitz & Christoph Weber, 2012. "Optimal electricity generation portfolios," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 381-399, August.
- Xian He & Erik Delarue & William D'haeseleer & Jean-Michel Glachant, 2010.
"A Novel Business Model for Aggregating the Values of Electricity Storage,"
RSCAS Working Papers
2010/82, European University Institute.
- He, Xian & Delarue, Erik & D'haeseleer, William & Glachant, Jean-Michel, 2011. "A novel business model for aggregating the values of electricity storage," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1575-1585, March.
- Kroniger, Daniel & Madlener, Reinhard, 2013. "Hydrogen Storage for Wind Parks - A Real Options Evaluation for an Optimal Investment in More Flexibility," FCN Working Papers 3/2013, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
- Connolly, D. & Lund, H. & Finn, P. & Mathiesen, B.V. & Leahy, M., 2011. "Practical operation strategies for pumped hydroelectric energy storage (PHES) utilising electricity price arbitrage," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 4189-4196, July.
- Muche, Thomas, 2014. "Optimal operation and forecasting policy for pump storage plants in day-ahead markets," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 113(C), pages 1089-1099.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.