Measuring the security of external energy supply in the European Union
AbstractThe security of energy supply is one of the main objectives of EU energy policy. In this paper, we introduce an index designed to evaluate the short-term risks associated with the external supply of energy to the EU Member States. It combines measures of energy import diversification, political risks of the supplying country, risk associated with energy transit, and the economic impact of a supply disruption. We construct separate indexes for three primary energy types, oil, gas and coal, and demonstrate that Member States' levels of supply risk exposure differ across energies. Most other studies of this kind provide aggregate indexes combining different types of energy. Our results suggest that an aggregate approach could be misleading, at least for discussions of the short-term response to risks. We discuss the implications of our findings for the common energy policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
Index Security of supply Supply risk;
Other versions of this item:
- Le Coq, Chloe & Paltseva, Elena, 2009. "Measuring the Security of External Energy Supply in the European Union," SITE Working Paper Series 2, Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics, Stockholm School of Economics.
- C80 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - General
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
- Q48 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Government Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Delgado & Hans W. Friederiszick & Lars-Hendrik RÃ¶ller, . "Energy: choices for Europe," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 14, 11.
- Gupta, Eshita, 2008. "Oil vulnerability index of oil-importing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 1195-1211, March.
- Silve, F. & Noel, P., 2010. "Cost Curves for Gas Supply Security: The Case of Bulgaria," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1056, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Yusta, Jose M. & Correa, Gabriel J. & Lacal-Arántegui, Roberto, 2011. "Methodologies and applications for critical infrastructure protection: State-of-the-art," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6100-6119, October.
- Chuang, Ming Chih & Ma, Hwong Wen, 2013. "Energy security and improvements in the function of diversity indices—Taiwan energy supply structure case study," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 9-20.
- Cohen, Gail & Joutz, Frederick & Loungani, Prakash, 2011.
"Measuring energy security: Trends in the diversification of oil and natural gas supplies,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 4860-4869, September.
- Prakash Loungani & Frederick L. Joutz & Gail Cohen, 2011. "Measuring Energy Security: Trends in the Diversification of Oil and Natural Gas Supplies," IMF Working Papers 11/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Andaloro, Antonio P.F. & Salomone, Roberta & Ioppolo, Giuseppe & Andaloro, Laura, 2010. "Energy certification of buildings: A comparative analysis of progress towards implementation in European countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5840-5866, October.
- Xavier Labandeira & Baltazar Manzano, 2012.
"Some Economic Aspects of Energy Security,"
European Research Studies Journal,
European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(Special I), pages 47-64.
- Le Coq, Chloe & Paltseva, Elena, 2012. "The EU-Russia Gas Relationship: a mutual dependency," SITE Working Paper Series 18, Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics, Stockholm School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.