Asia energy mixes from socio-economic and environmental perspectives
AbstractSustainable clean energy is the top social, economic, and environmental agenda of political leaders, policy makers, enlightened business executives, and civil society in Asia. Strong economic growth in Asia has caused a great demand for energy which has resulted in an enormous increase in CO2 emissions. The association of Southeast Asian nations (ASEAN), India, China, South Korea and Japan are the most important regions in Asia as their economies have been growing steadily. These countries though heavily dependent on fossil fuels have stepped up their measures towards low-carbon society amid domestic affordability challenges and changing global mindset. This report highlights the current energy scenario in these countries and their effort towards an affordable and sustainable clean energy future. The energy policy to enhance energy security and improve environmental sustainability is also explicated in this article.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
Climate change Carbon emission Renewable energy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jackson, Tim & Oliver, Mark, 2000. "The viability of solar photovoltaics," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(14), pages 983-988, November.
- Dorian, James P., 2006. "Central Asia: A major emerging energy player in the 21st century," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 544-555, March.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2008.
"Asian energy and environmental policy: Promoting growth while preserving the environment,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3905-3924, October.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2008. "Asian Energy and Environmental Policy: Promoting Growth While Preserving the Environment," MPRA Paper 12224, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dechezleprêtre, Antoine & Glachant, Matthieu & Ménière, Yann, 2009.
"Technology transfer by CDM projects: A comparison of Brazil, China, India and Mexico,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 703-711, February.
- Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Matthieu Glachant & Yann Ménière, 2009. "Technology transfer by CDM projects: A comparison of Brazil, China, India and Mexico," Post-Print hal-00437547, HAL.
- Saha, Pranesh Chandra, 2003. "Sustainable energy development: a challenge for Asia and the Pacific region in the 21st century," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 1051-1059, September.
- Karki, Shankar K. & Mann, Michael D. & Salehfar, Hossein, 2005. "Energy and environment in the ASEAN: challenges and opportunities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 499-509, March.
- Yang, Ming, 2008. "China's energy efficiency target 2010," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 561-570, February.
- Gagnon, Luc & van de Vate, Joop F., 1997. "Greenhouse gas emissions from hydropower : The state of research in 1996," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 7-13, January.
- Srivastava, Leena & Misra, Neha, 2007. "Promoting regional energy co-operation in South Asia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3360-3368, June.
- Ramachandra, T. V. & Joshi, N. V. & Subramanian, D. K., 2000. "Present and prospective role of bioenergy in regional energy system," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 375-430, December.
- Luukkanen, Jyrki & Kaivo-oja, Jari, 2002. "ASEAN tigers and sustainability of energy use--decomposition analysis of energy and CO2 efficiency dynamics," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 281-292, March.
- Wyes, Heinrich-Wilhelm & Lewandowski, Michael, 2012. "Narrowing the Gaps through Regional Cooperation Institutions and Governance Systems," ADBI Working Papers 359, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Sahakian, Marlyne D., 2011. "Understanding household energy consumption patterns: When "West Is Best" in Metro Manila," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 596-602, February.
- Chaturvedi, A. & Samdarshi, S.K., 2011. "Energy, economy and development (EED) triangle: Concerns for India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 4651-4655, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.