A dynamic equilibrium of electricity consumption and GDP in Hong Kong: An empirical investigation
AbstractPublic debates on electricity policy in Hong Kong focus on the regulation regime but sel- dom discuss the macroeconomic impact. In this paper, we use the novel dataset on electricity consumption and report the following ?ndings: (1) there is a long run equilibrium relationship between real GDP and electricity consumption, (2) a one-way causal eÂ¤ect exists from electric- ity consumption to real GDP, (3) a signi?cant adjustment process occurs when equilibrium is interrupted, (4) there exists possible structural change in the relationship between electricity consumption and economic activities in 1990s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 35 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
Other versions of this item:
- Chun-Yu Ho & Kam Wing Siu, 2006. "A Dynamic Equilibrium of Electricity Consumption and GDP in Hong Kong: An Empirical Investigation," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2006-049, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply; Prices
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
- Q48 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Government Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shiu, Alice & Lam, Pun-Lee, 2004. "Electricity consumption and economic growth in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 47-54, January.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Choi, In & Ahn, Byung Chul, 1995. "Testing for Cointegration in a System of Equations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 952-983, October.
- Chow, Larry Chuen-ho, 2001. "A study of sectoral energy consumption in Hong Kong (1984-97) with special emphasis on the household sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(13), pages 1099-1110, November.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Dolado, Juan J. & Galbraith, John W. & Hendry, David, 1993. "Co-integration, Error Correction, and the Econometric Analysis of Non-Stationary Data," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288107.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Patrick J. Kehoe & Andrew Atkeson, 1999.
"Models of Energy Use: Putty-Putty versus Putty-Clay,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 1028-1043, September.
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1994. "Models of Energy Use: Putty-Putty versus Putty-Clay," NBER Working Papers 4833, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Changqi Wu & Leonard K. Cheng, 1997.
"Hong Kong's Business Regulation in Transition,"
NBER Working Papers
6332, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Lam, Pun-Lee, 2004. "Hong Kong's electricity market beyond 2008," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 851-854, May.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Shin, Yongcheol, 1994. "A Residual-Based Test of the Null of Cointegration Against the Alternative of No Cointegration," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 91-115, March.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Keong T. Woo, 2005. "The Impact of Outsourcing to China on Hong Kong's Labor Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1673-1687, December.
- Lam, Pun-Lee, 1999. "Regulatory effects on electricity prices in Hong Kong," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 528-544, December.
- van Zon, Adriaan & Yetkiner, I. Hakan, 2003. "An endogenous growth model with embodied energy-saving technical change," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 81-103, February.
- Solarin, Sakiru Adebola & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2013.
"Trivariate causality between economic growth, urbanisation and electricity consumption in Angola: Cointegration and causality analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 876-884.
- Solarin, Sakiru Adebola & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2013. "Trivariate Causality between Economic Growth, Urbanisation and Electricity Consumption in Angola: Cointegration and Causality Analysis," MPRA Paper 45580, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 19 Mar 2013.
- Chang, Ching-Chih & Soruco Carballo, Claudia Fabiola, 2011. "Energy conservation and sustainable economic growth: The case of Latin America and the Caribbean," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 4215-4221, July.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Mutascu, Mihai & Tiwari, Aviral Kumar, 2012.
"Revisiting the Relationship between Electricity Consumption, Capital and Economic Growth: Cointegration and Causality Analysis in Romania,"
Journal for Economic Forecasting,
Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 97-120, September.
- Mutascu, Mihai & Shahbaz, Muhammad & Tiwari, Aviral Kumar, 2011. "Revisiting the relationship between electricity consumption, capital and economic growth: Cointegration and causality analysis in Romania," MPRA Paper 29233, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Mete Feridun, 2012. "Electricity consumption and economic growth empirical evidence from Pakistan," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 46(5), pages 1583-1599, August.
- Faiz Rehman & Muhammad Nasir & Faiza Kanwal, 2012. "Nexus between corruption and regional Environmental Kuznets Curve: the case of South Asian countries," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 14(5), pages 827-841, October.
- Sbia, Rashid & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2013. "The Weight of Economic Growth and Urbanization on Electricity Demand in UAE," MPRA Paper 47981, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 03 Jul 2013.
- Nasir, Muhammad & Ur Rehman, Faiz, 2011. "Environmental Kuznets Curve for carbon emissions in Pakistan: An empirical investigation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1857-1864, March.
- Omay, Tolga & Hasanov, Mubariz & Ucar, Nuri, 2012.
"Energy consumption and economic growth: evidence from nonlinear panel cointegration and causality tests,"
37653, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tolga Omay & Mubariz Hasanov & Nuri Uçar, 2012. "Energy Consumption and Economic Growth: Evidence from Nonlinear Panel Cointegration and Causality Tests," Hacettepe University Department of Economics Working Papers 20130, Hacettepe University, Department of Economics.
- Abbas, Faisal & Choudhury, Nirmalya, 2013. "Electricity consumption-economic growth Nexus: An aggregated and disaggregated causality analysis in India and Pakistan," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 538-553.
- Philip Kofi Adom, 2011. "Electricity Consumption-Economic Growth Nexus: The Ghanaian Case," International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Econjournals, vol. 1(1), pages 18-31, June.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2011. "A dynamic panel study of economic development and the electricity consumption-growth nexus," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 770-781, September.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz, 2011. "Electricity Consumption, Financial Development and Economic Growth Nexus: A Revisit Study of Their Causality in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 35588, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 27 Dec 2011.
- Ozturk, Ilhan, 2010. "A literature survey on energy-growth nexus," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 340-349, January.
- Lam, J.C.K. & Woo, C.K. & Kahrl, F. & Yu, W.K., 2013. "What moves wind energy development in China? Show me the money!," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 423-429.
- James E. Payne, 2010. "Survey of the international evidence on the causal relationship between energy consumption and growth," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(1), pages 53-95, January.
- Sharma, Susan Sunila, 2010. "The relationship between energy and economic growth: Empirical evidence from 66 countries," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(11), pages 3565-3574, November.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Tang, Chor Foon & Shahbaz Shabbir, Muhammad, 2011. "Electricity consumption and economic growth nexus in Portugal using cointegration and causality approaches," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3529-3536, June.
- Kouakou, Auguste K., 2011. "Economic growth and electricity consumption in Cote d'Ivoire: Evidence from time series analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3638-3644, June.
- Tang, Chor Foon & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2011. "Revisiting the Electricity Consumption-Growth Nexus for Portugal: Evidence from a Multivariate Framework Analysis," MPRA Paper 28393, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Al-mulali, Usama & Fereidouni, Hassan Gholipour & Lee, Janice Ym & Sab, Che Normee Binti Che, 2013. "Examining the bi-directional long run relationship between renewable energy consumption and GDP growth," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 209-222.
- Zeshan, Muhammad, 2013. "Finding the cointegration and causal linkages between the electricity production and economic growth in Pakistan," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 344-350.
- Cheng-Lang, Yang & Lin, Hung-Pin & Chang, Chih-Heng, 2010. "Linear and nonlinear causality between sectoral electricity consumption and economic growth: Evidence from Taiwan," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6570-6573, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.