The causal relationship between energy use and economic growth in Switzerland
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationships between energy consumption and economic growth in Switzerland over the period 1950–2010. We apply bounds testing techniques to different energy types separately. Robustness tests are performed by including additional variables and restricting the analysis to the period after 1970. The results show that there exist robust long-run relationships going from real GDP toward heating oil and electricity consumption. The relationship between heating oil and GDP is in fact bidirectional, although weaker from heating oil toward GDP than in the reverse direction. When investigating the period 1970–2010 only, the estimate of the long-run income elasticity of electricity consumption loses statistical significance and that for heating oil becomes negative. Those results imply a possible decoupling between GDP growth and energy consumption, so that energy conservation policies are not necessarily expected to have a negative impact on Swiss economic growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eneco
Energy–GDP relationship; Energy policy; Cointegration; Switzerland;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mohammed Issa Shahateet, 2014.
"Modeling Economic Growth and Energy Consumption in Arab Countries: Cointegration and Causality Analysis,"
International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy,
Econjournals, vol. 4(3), pages 349-359.
- Shahateet, Mohammed, 2014. "Modeling Economic Growth and Energy Consumption in Arab Countries: Cointegration and Causality Analysis," MPRA Paper 57304, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.