Ethanol demand under the flex-fuel technology regime in Brazil
AbstractThis paper analyzes the characteristics of ethanol demand in the context of fuel mix diversification in Brazil. Currently, ethanol is the most important gasoline additive and alternative fuel consumed in Brazil and is responsible there for profound changes in the dynamics of fuel consumption. The diffusion of flex-fuel vehicles in Brazil symbolizes a new stage of ethanol expansion and is a central component of the increasing demand for fuel. Accordingly, we evaluate ethanol demand in Brazil following the introduction of flex-fuel vehicles using a cointegration approach and autoregressive distributed lag bounds tests over the period 2003–2010. The evidences confirm that during the last decade, ethanol has strengthened its position as both an independent fuel and a substitute for gasoline. There is also evidence that growth in the Brazilian automobile fleet based on flex-fuel technology is a major driving factor of long-run ethanol demand. Further, the dynamics of gasohol (mandatory blend of gasoline and ethanol) and ethanol prices operate in a symmetric manner over ethanol demand, thereby evidencing the increasing substitutability between these alternative fuels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eneco
Ethanol demand; Elasticity; Cointegration; Brazil;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- P48 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - Political Economy; Legal Institutions; Property Rights; Natural Resources; Energy; Environment; Regional Studies
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply; Prices
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Leonardo Chaves Borges Cardoso & Maurício Vaz Lobo Bittencourt & Alexandre Alves Porsse, 2014. "Demanda Por Combustíveis Leves No Brasil: Uma Abordagem Utilizando Painéis Espaciais Dinâmicos," Anais do XLI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 41th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 194, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Jose Cantos & Robert Dixon, 2014. "Impacts of bioethanol on gasoline prices in the Philippines: an econometric analysis," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 1-13, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.