HMM filtering and parameter estimation of an electricity spot price model
AbstractIn this paper we develop a model for electricity spot price dynamics. The spot price is assumed to follow an exponential Ornstein-Uhlenbeck (OU) process with an added compound Poisson process. In this way, the model allows for mean-reversion and possible jumps. All parameters are modulated by a hidden Markov chain in discrete time. They are able to switch between different economic regimes representing the interaction of various factors. Through the application of reference probability technique, adaptive filters are derived, which in turn, provide optimal estimates for the state of the Markov chain and related quantities of the observation process. The EM algorithm is applied to find optimal estimates of the model parameters in terms of the recursive filters. We implement this self-calibrating model on a deseasonalised series of daily spot electricity prices from the Nordic exchange Nord Pool. On the basis of one-step ahead forecasts, we found that the model is able to capture the empirical characteristics of Nord Pool spot prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eneco
Adaptive filters Forecasting Hidden Markov model Parameter estimation Electricity spot price;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2002.
"Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market,"
0212001, EconWPA, revised 31 Aug 2003.
- Fabra, Natalia & Toro, Juan, 2005. "Price wars and collusion in the Spanish electricity market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 155-181, April.
- Juan Toro & Natalia Fabra, 2002. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Economics Series Working Papers 136, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Fabra, Natalia & Toro, Juan, . "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/5018, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2001. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2001/05, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Alvaro Cartea & Marcelo Gustavo Figueroa, 2005.
"Pricing in Electricity Markets: a Mean Reverting Jump Diffusion Model with Seasonality,"
Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance
0507, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Alvaro Cartea & Marcelo Figueroa, 2005. "Pricing in Electricity Markets: A Mean Reverting Jump Diffusion Model with Seasonality," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 313-335.
- Cartea, Álvaro & Figueroa, Marcelo G., 2005. "Pricing in electricity markets : a mean reverting jump diffusion model with seasonality," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/12199, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Alvaro Cartea & Marcelo_Gustavo Figueroa, 2005. "Pricing in Electricity Markets: a Mean Reverting Jump Diffusion Model with Seasonality," Finance 0501011, EconWPA, revised 10 Sep 2005.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/1433 is not listed on IDEAS
- Huisman, R. & Mahieu, R.J., 2003.
"Regime jumps in electricity prices,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3131736, Tilburg University.
- Huisman, R. & Mahieu, R.J., 2001. "Regime Jumps in Electricity Prices," Research Paper ERS-2001-48-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- H�lyette Geman & Andrea Roncoroni, 2006. "Understanding the Fine Structure of Electricity Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 1225-1262, May.
- Geman, Hélyette & Roncoroni, Andréa, 2006. "Understanding the Fine Structure of Electricity Prices," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1433, Paris Dauphine University.
- Fred Espen Benth & Lars Ekeland & Ragnar Hauge & Bj�Rn Fredrik Nielsen, 2003. "A note on arbitrage-free pricing of forward contracts in energy markets," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 325-336.
- De Jong Cyriel, 2006. "The Nature of Power Spikes: A Regime-Switch Approach," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(3), pages 1-28, September.
- B. Ricky Rambharat & Anthony E. Brockwell & Duane J. Seppi, 2005. "A threshold autoregressive model for wholesale electricity prices," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 54(2), pages 287-299.
- Rypdal, Martin & Løvsletten, Ola, 2013. "Modeling electricity spot prices using mean-reverting multifractal processes," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(1), pages 194-207.
- Janczura, Joanna & Trück, Stefan & Weron, Rafał & Wolff, Rodney C., 2013.
"Identifying spikes and seasonal components in electricity spot price data: A guide to robust modeling,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 96-110.
- Janczura, Joanna & Trueck, Stefan & Weron, Rafal & Wolff, Rodney, 2012. "Identifying spikes and seasonal components in electricity spot price data: A guide to robust modeling," MPRA Paper 39277, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nowotarski, Jakub & Tomczyk, Jakub & Weron, Rafał, 2013.
"Robust estimation and forecasting of the long-term seasonal component of electricity spot prices,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 13-27.
- Jakub Nowotarski & Jakub Tomczyk & Rafal Weron, 2012. "Robust estimation and forecasting of the long-term seasonal component of electricity spot prices," HSC Research Reports HSC/12/06, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Nowotarski, Jakub & Tomczyk, Jakub & Weron, Rafal, 2012. "Robust estimation and forecasting of the long-term seasonal component of electricity spot prices," MPRA Paper 42563, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.