Is there an asymmetry in the response of diesel and petrol prices to crude oil price changes? Evidence from New Zealand
AbstractThis paper examines how pre-tax petrol and diesel prices in New Zealand respond to changes in crude oil prices using an asymmetric error correction model. Our results show that oil companies adjust diesel prices upwards faster than they adjust them downwards, and the difference is statistically significant. However we find no statistical evidence for an asymmetry in the adjustment of petrol prices even though the magnitude of estimated coefficients suggests a faster response to rising prices. As diesel pricing is not as competitive as petrol pricing, calls for further government actions and monitoring of the oil market may be justified. Our findings also have important implications for the conduct of monetary policy as the pass-through of crude oil price changes can affect cost-push inflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eneco
Fuel pricing Petrol price Diesel price Asymmetric adjustment Price rigidity;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Jordi Galí, 2007.
"The Macroeconomic Effects of Oil Price Shocks: Why are the 2000s so different from the 1970s?,"
in: International Dimensions of Monetary Policy, pages 373-421
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Jordi Galí, 2007. "The macroeconomic effects of oil price shocks: Why are the 2000s so different from the 1970s?," Economics Working Papers 1045, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2008.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Jordi Galí, 2007. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Oil Price Shocks: Why are the 2000s so different from the 1970s?," Working Papers 0711, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Godby, R. & Stengos, T. & Wandsschneider, B., 1997.
"Testing for Asymmetric Pricing in the Canadian Retail Gasoline Market,"
1997-4, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Godby, Rob & Lintner, Anastasia M. & Stengos, Thanasis & Wandschneider, Bo, 2000. "Testing for asymmetric pricing in the Canadian retail gasoline market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 349-368, June.
- Radchenko, Stanislav, 2005. "Lags in the response of gasoline prices to changes in crude oil prices: The role of short-term and long-term shocks," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 573-602, July.
- Severin Borenstein & A. Colin Cameron, 1992.
"Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?,"
NBER Working Papers
4138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borenstein, Severin & Cameron, A Colin & Gilbert, Richard, 1997. "Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 305-39, February.
- Lance J. Bachmeier & James M. Griffin, 2003. "New Evidence on Asymmetric Gasoline Price Responses," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 772-776, August.
- Bacon, Robert W., 1991. "Rockets and feathers: the asymmetric speed of adjustment of UK retail gasoline prices to cost changes," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 211-218, July.
- Jochen Meyer & Stephan Cramon-Taubadel, 2004.
"Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 581-611.
- Meyer, Jochen & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2002. "Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24822, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Davis, Michael C & Hamilton, James D, 2004.
"Why Are Prices Sticky? The Dynamics of Wholesale Gasoline Prices,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(1), pages 17-37, February.
- Michael C. Davis & James D. Hamilton, 2003. "Why Are Prices Sticky? The Dynamics of Wholesale Gasoline Prices," NBER Working Papers 9741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Reilly & Robert Witt, 1996.
"Petrol Price Asymmetries Revisited,"
Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics Discussion Papers (SEEDS)
89, Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Jordi Gali, 2007.
"The Macroeconomic Effects of Oil Shocks: Why are the 2000s So Different from the 1970s?,"
NBER Working Papers
13368, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Galí, Jordi, 2008. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Oil Shocks: Why are the 2000s so Different from the 1970s?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6631, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew Eckert, 2002. "Retail price cycles and response asymmetry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(1), pages 52-77, February.
- Duffy-Deno, Kevin T., 1996. "Retail price asymmetries in local gasoline markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 81-92, April.
- Felix Delbruck, 2005. "Oil prices and the New Zealand economy," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 68, December.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Hooker, Mark A, 2002. "Are Oil Shocks Inflationary? Asymmetric and Nonlinear Specifications versus Changes in Regime," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(2), pages 540-61, May.
- Delpachitra, Sarath B., 2002. "Price rigidity in the downstream petroleum industry in New Zealand: where does it happen?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 597-613, November.
- Valadkhani, Abbas, 2013. "Do petrol prices rise faster than they fall when the market shows significant disequilibria?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 66-80.
- Akbar Komijani & Nadiya Gandali Alikhani & Esmaeil Naderi, 2013.
"The Long-run and Short-run Effects of Crude Oil Price on Methanol Market in Iran,"
International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy,
Econjournals, vol. 3(1), pages 43-50.
- Komijani, Akbar & Gandali Alikhani, Nadiya & Naderi, Esmaeil, 2012. "The Long-run and Short-run Effects of Crude Oil Price on Methanol Market in Iran," MPRA Paper 45975, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Valadkhani, Abbas, 2013. "Modelling the terminal gate prices of unleaded petrol in Australia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 233-243.
- Abbas Valadkhani & Martin O'Brien & Amir Arjomandi, 2013. "Examining the nature of the relationship between Tapis crude oil and Singapore petrol prices," International Journal of Global Energy Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 36(1), pages 27-41.
- Perdiguero-García, Jordi, 2013. "Symmetric or asymmetric oil prices? A meta-analysis approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 389-397.
- Angelopoulou, Eleni & Gibson, Heather D., 2010. "The determinants of retail petrol prices in Greece," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1537-1542, November.
- Delavari, Majid & Gandali Alikhani, Nadiya & Naderi, Esmaeil, 2012. "The analyses of Crude Oil and Natural Gas Prices on Petrochemicals Products: A Case Study of IRAN's Methanol," MPRA Paper 48788, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Delavari, Majid & Gandali Alikhani, Nadiya, 2012. "The Effect of Crude Oil Price on the Methanol price," MPRA Paper 49727, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zhang, Yue-Jun & Wang, Zi-Yi, 2013. "Investigating the price discovery and risk transfer functions in the crude oil and gasoline futures markets: Some empirical evidence," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 220-228.
- Fosten, Jack, 2012. "Rising household diesel consumption in the United States: A cause for concern? Evidence on asymmetric pricing," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1514-1522.
- Liu, Ming-Hua & Margaritis, Dimitris & Zhang, Yang, 2013. "Market-driven coal prices and state-administered electricity prices in China," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 167-175.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.