Toxic releases: An environmental performance index for coal-fired power plants
AbstractIn order to assess the performance of electric power plants that produce both good and bad outputs, this study uses data from the toxic release inventory to construct an Environmental Performance Index (EPI). Färe, Grosskopf, and Pasurka (2006) demonstrated that for the one good output and one air pollutant case, the EPI simplifies to the ratio of good to bad output. In this paper, we extend the EPI to include an index of multiple bad outputs. After deriving the index as a Malmquist Quantity Index, we assemble data from 1998 to 2005 on releases of selected toxic chemicals and electricity generation for a sample of coal-fired power plants in the United States to demonstrate how the EPI can provide initial perspectives on trends in releases of toxic chemicals by coal-fired power plants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eneco
Environmental Performance Index Malmquist Quantity Index Good and Bad Outputs;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Hernandez-Sancho, F., 2004. "Environmental performance: an index number approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 343-352, December.
- Thomas P. Lyon & John W. Maxwell, 2007. "Public Voluntary Programs Reconsidered," Working Papers 2007-07, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Scott Marchi & James Hamilton, 2006. "Assessing the Accuracy of Self-Reported Data: an Evaluation of the Toxics Release Inventory," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 57-76, January.
- Andersson, Christian & Månsson, Jonas & Sund, Krister, 2014. "Technical efficiency of Swedish employment offices," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 57-64.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Kazemi Matin, Reza, 2011. "Duality of weakly disposable technology," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 504-512, October.
- Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Lundgren, Tommy & Marklund, Per-Olov & Zhou, Wenchao, 2012. "Pollution Generating Technologies and Environmental Efficiency," CERE Working Papers 2012:16, CERE - the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics.
- Brännlund, Runar & Lundgren, Tommy & Marklund, Per-Olov, 2011. "Environmental Performance and Climate Policy," CERE Working Papers 2011:6, CERE - the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics.
- Aravena, Claudia & Hutchinson, W. George & Longo, Alberto, 2012. "Environmental pricing of externalities from different sources of electricity generation in Chile," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 1214-1225.
- Brännlund, Runar & Lundgren, Tommy & Marklund, Per-Olov, 2014. "Carbon intensity in production and the effects of climate policy—Evidence from Swedish industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 844-857.
- Lundgren, Tommy & Marklund, Per-Olov, 2012. "Environmental Performance and Profits," CERE Working Papers 2012:8, CERE - the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.