Energy conservation, expectations and uncertainty
AbstractThis paper investigates consumers' decisions about a (single and lumpy) conservation project accounting for uncertainty and expectations (rational versus myopic). Rational expectations take into account that the profitability of individual conservation measures will affect fuel prices (here set by cartelized supply). Ignorance of this interdependence between conservation and price leads to premature investments. The interplay between demand and supply creates an incentive for a consumer cartel to initiate conservation strategically, which advances conservation compared with rational consumers but not always ahead of individually myopic decisions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eneco
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1979. "Individual Discount Rates and the Purchase and Utilization of Energy-Using Durables," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 33-54, Spring.
- Dockner,Engelbert J. & Jorgensen,Steffen & Long,Ngo Van & Sorger,Gerhard, 2000. "Differential Games in Economics and Management Science," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521637329, October.
- Dermot Gately, 2004. "OPEC's Incentives for Faster Output Growth," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 75-96.
- Junsoo Lee & John A. List & Mark C. Strazicich, 2005.
"Nonrenewable Resource Prices: Deterministic or Stochastic Trends?,"
05-20, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Lee, Junsoo & List, John A. & Strazicich, Mark C., 2006. "Non-renewable resource prices: Deterministic or stochastic trends?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 354-370, May.
- Junsoo Lee & John A. List & Mark Strazicich, 2005. "Nonrenewable Resource Prices: Deterministic or Stochastic Trends?," NBER Working Papers 11487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wirl, Franz, 1991. "Energy demand and consumer price expectations : An empirical investigation of the consequences from the recent oil price collapse," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 241-262, September.
- Dermot Gately, 2001. "How Plausible is the Consensus Projection of Oil Below $25 and Persian Gulf Oil Capacity and Output Doubling by 2020?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 1-28.
- Smulders, Sjak & de Nooij, Michiel, 2003.
"The impact of energy conservation on technology and economic growth,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 59-79, February.
- Smulders, J.A. & Nooij, M. de, 2003. "The impact of energy conservation on technology and economic growth," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-123121, Tilburg University.
- Genc, Talat S. & Sen, Suvrajeet, 2008. "An analysis of capacity and price trajectories for the Ontario electricity market using dynamic Nash equilibrium under uncertainty," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 173-191, January.
- Bjornstad, David J. & McKee, Michael, 2006. "Making enduring choices: Uncertainty and public policy," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(5-6), pages 667-676, November.
- Wirl Franz, 1994. "Pigouvian Taxation of Energy for Flow and Stock Externalities and Strategic, Noncompetitive Energy Pricing," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Wirl, F., 1986. "Fuel conservation under rational expectations of the energy price evolution," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 185-197, June.
- Mueller,Dennis C., 2003. "Public Choice III," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521894753, October.
- Tahvonen, Olli, 1996. "Trade with Polluting Nonrenewable Resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-17, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.