Ranking of finance journals: Some Google Scholar citation perspectives
AbstractWe conduct rankings on finance journals based on a rich database of citations for all articles from a set of 23 finance journals during 1990–2010. Our study is a major improvement in the literature by directly measuring the impact of each article within a set of finance journals. Our findings in journal citations generally echo the concern in Smith (2004) that some articles in premier journals have no/low impact while some articles in non-premier journals have high impact. In addition, we document that premier (non-premier) journals exhibit a linear (convex) curve of cumulative normalized citations across zero citation to less than or equal to eight citation buckets. We also show that author concentration index and editorial board members' citations represent alternative methods to evaluate finance journals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Empirical Finance.
Volume (Year): 21 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jempfin
Journal ranking; Citations; Google Scholar;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G00 - Financial Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chan, Kam C. & Chen, Carl R. & Lee, Tan (Charlene), 2011. "A long-term assessment of finance research performance among Asia-Pacific academic institutions (1990-2008)," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 157-171, January.
- Stanley D. Smith, 2004. "Is an Article in a Top Journal a Top Article?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(4), Winter.
- Imad Moosa, 2011. "The demise of the ARC journal ranking scheme: an ex post analysis of the accounting and finance journals," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 51(3), pages 809-836, 09.
- William Hardin & Kartono Liano & Kam Chan & Robert Fok, 2008. "Finance editorial board membership and research productivity," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 225-240, October.
- Kam Chan & Carl Chen & Peter Lung, 2007. "One-and-a-half decades of global research output in Finance: 1990–2004," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 417-439, May.
- Kaufman, George G, 1984. " Rankings of Finance Departments by Faculty Representation on Editorial Boards of Professional Journals: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1189-97, September.
- Oltheten, Elisabeth & Theoharakis, Vasilis & Travlos, Nickolaos G., 2005. "Faculty Perceptions and Readership Patterns of Finance Journals: A Global View," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(01), pages 223-239, March.
- Currie, Russell R. & Pandher, Gurupdesh S., 2011. "Finance journal rankings and tiers: An Active Scholar Assessment methodology," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 7-20, January.
- Kam C. Chan & Kartono Liano, 2009. "Threshold citation analysis of influential articles, journals, institutions and researchers in accounting," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 49(1), pages 59-74.
- Borde, Stephen F & Cheney, John M & Madura, Jeff, 1999. " A Note on Perceptions of Finance Journal Quality," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 89-96, January.
- Kam C. Chan & Robert C. W. Fok, 2003. "Membership On Editorial Boards And Finance Department Rankings," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 26(3), pages 405-420.
- Chen, Carl R. & Huang, Ying, 2007. "Author Affiliation Index, finance journal ranking, and the pattern of authorship," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 1008-1026, December.
- repec:hal:gemwpa:hal-00975432 is not listed on IDEAS
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.