The effect of CEO power on bond ratings and yields
AbstractWe argue that executives can affect firm outcomes only if they have influence over crucial decisions. This study explores the impact of CEO power or CEO dominance on bond ratings and yield spreads. We find that credit ratings are lower and yield spreads higher for firms whose CEOs have more decision-making power. To further investigate why bondholders are concerned about CEO power, we show that powerful CEOs tend to maintain an opaque information environment. Bondholders demand higher yields because it is difficult for them to monitor managers in firms with powerful CEOs. Taken together, the results suggest that bondholders perceive CEO power as a critical determinant of the cost of bond financing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Empirical Finance.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jempfin
CEO power Cost of bond financing Agency theory Bondholders;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanjeev Bhojraj & Partha Sengupta, 2003. "Effect of Corporate Governance on Bond Ratings and Yields: The Role of Institutional Investors and Outside Directors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(3), pages 455-476, July.
- Lamy, Robert E. & Thompson, G. Rodney, 1988. "Risk premia and the pricing of primary issue bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 585-601, December.
- Denis, David J & Denis, Diane K, 1995. " Performance Changes Following Top Management Dismissals," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-57, September.
- Randall Morck & Andrel Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1988.
"Alternative Mechanisms for Corporate Control,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
52, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Villalonga, Belen & Amit, Raphael, 2006. "How do family ownership, control and management affect firm value?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 385-417, May.
- Julio Rotemberg & Garth Saloner, 2000. "Visionaries, Managers, and Strategic Direction," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 693-716, Winter.
- Duru, Augustine & Mansi, Sattar A. & Reeb, David M., 2005. "Earnings-based bonus plans and the agency costs of debt," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 431-447.
- Garfinkel, Jon A. & Nimalendran, M., 2003. "Market Structure and Trader Anonymity: An Analysis of Insider Trading," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(03), pages 591-610, September.
- Simon H. Kwan & Mark J. Flannery & M. Nimalendran, 1999.
"Market evidence on the opaqueness of banking firms' assets,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
99-11, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Flannery, Mark J. & Kwan, Simon H. & Nimalendran, M., 2004. "Market evidence on the opaqueness of banking firms' assets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 419-460, March.
- Mark J. Flannery & Simon H. Kwan & M. Nimalendran, 1997. "Market evidence on the opaqueness of banking firms' assets," Proceedings 560, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Sah, Raaj Kumar & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1986.
"The Architecture of Economic Systems: Hierarchies and Polyarchies,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 716-27, September.
- Raaj Kumar Sah & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1987. "The Architecture of Economic Systems: Hierarchies and Polyarchies," NBER Working Papers 1334, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fahlenbrach, Rudiger, 2006.
"Founder-CEOs, Investment Decisions, and Stock Market Performance,"
Working Paper Series
2004-20, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Fahlenbrach, Rüdiger, 2009. "Founder-CEOs, Investment Decisions, and Stock Market Performance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(02), pages 439-466, April.
- Pathan, Shams, 2009. "Strong boards, CEO power and bank risk-taking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1340-1350, July.
- Eric Van den Steen, 2005.
"Organizational Beliefs and Managerial Vision,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 21(1), pages 256-283, April.
- Ashbaugh-Skaife, Hollis & Collins, Daniel W. & LaFond, Ryan, 2006. "The effects of corporate governance on firms' credit ratings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 203-243, October.
- Qi, Yaxuan & Roth, Lukas & Wald, John K., 2010. "Political rights and the cost of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 202-226, February.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Huson, Mark R. & Malatesta, Paul H. & Parrino, Robert, 2004. "Managerial succession and firm performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 237-275, November.
- Pennings, J.M. & Hinings, C.R. & Hickson, D.J. & Schneck, R.E., 1974. "Structural conditions of intraorganizational power," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-383011, Tilburg University.
- K.J. Martijn Cremers & Vinay B. Nair & Chenyang Wei, 2007. "Governance Mechanisms and Bond Prices," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(5), pages 1359-1388, 2007 07.
- Agrawal, Anup & Knoeber, Charles R, 2001. "Do Some Outside Directors Play a Political Role?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 179-98, April.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Klock, Mark S. & Mansi, Sattar A. & Maxwell, William F., 2005. "Does Corporate Governance Matter to Bondholders?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(04), pages 693-719, December.
- Francis, Bill B. & Hasan, Iftekhar & John, Kose & Waisman, Maya, 2010. "The effect of state antitakeover laws on the firm's bondholders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 127-154, April.
- Renée B. Adams & Heitor Almeida & Daniel Ferreira, 2005. "Powerful CEOs and Their Impact on Corporate Performance," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(4), pages 1403-1432.
- Masulis, Ronald W. & Trueman, Brett, 1988. "Corporate Investment and Dividend Decisions under Differential Personal Taxation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(04), pages 369-385, December.
- Lucian Bebchuk & Alma Cohen & Allen Ferrell, 2009. "What Matters in Corporate Governance?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(2), pages 783-827, February.
- Stoughton, Neal M & Talmor, Eli, 1999. "Managerial Bargaining Power in the Determination of Compensation Contracts and Corporate Investment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(1), pages 69-93, February.
- Sattar A. Mansi & William F. Maxwell & John K. Wald, 2009. "Creditor Protection Laws and the Cost of Debt," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(4), pages 701-717, November.
- Sah, Raaj K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1991. "The Quality of Managers in Centralized versus Decentralized Organizations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(1), pages 289-95, February.
- Mathur, Ike & Singh, Manohar & Nejadmalayeri, Ali & Jiraporn, Pornsit, 2013. "How do bond investors perceive dividend payouts?," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 92-105.
- Alexander B. Matthies, 2013. "Empirical Research on Corporate Credit-Ratings: A Literature Review," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2013-003, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.