The returns to value and momentum in Asian Markets
AbstractTwo unique experiments are conducted. First, we evaluate returns to the best value and momentum strategies combined by: (i) a long portfolio of stocks classified as both value stocks and winner stocks; and (ii) a short portfolio of stocks classified as both growth and loser stocks. Second, we put all sample stocks of four representative Asian markets (Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan) into one basket to undertake a regional level one-basket approach. Interestingly, the combination of best value and momentum strategies does not provide a significant improvement over the value or the momentum strategy evaluated separately. One immediate conjecture is that value stocks and winner stocks are not necessarily moving in tandem. Likewise, growth stocks and loser stocks may offset their effectiveness. Value premia under the one-basket approach are all insignificant regardless of the weighting scheme used.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Emerging Markets Review.
Volume (Year): 9 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620356
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ding, David K. & Chua, Jia Leng & Fetherston, Thomas A., 2005. "The performance of value and growth portfolios in East Asia before the Asian financial crisis," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 185-199, March.
- Richards, Anthony J, 1997.
" Winner-Loser Reversals in National Stock Market Indices: Can They Be Explained?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 2129-44, December.
- Anthony J. Richards, 1997. "Winner-Loser Reversals in National Stock Market Indices - Can They be Explained?," IMF Working Papers 97/182, International Monetary Fund.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1996. " Multifactor Explanations of Asset Pricing Anomalies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 55-84, March.
- John M. Griffin & Xiuqing Ji & J. Spencer Martin, 2003. "Momentum Investing and Business Cycle Risk: Evidence from Pole to Pole," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2515-2547, December.
- Josef Lakonishok & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1993.
"Contrarian Investment, Extrapolation, and Risk,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
84, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Narasimhan Jegadeesh, 2001. "Profitability of Momentum Strategies: An Evaluation of Alternative Explanations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 699-720, 04.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Titman, Sheridan, 1993. " Returns to Buying Winners and Selling Losers: Implications for Stock Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 65-91, March.
- Pätäri, Eero & Leivo, Timo & Honkapuro, Samuli, 2012. "Enhancement of equity portfolio performance using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 786-797.
- Burton G. Malkiel & Derek Jun, 2009. "The Value Effect and the Market For Chinese Stocks," Working Papers 1177, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Timo H. Leivo, 2012. "Combining value and momentum indicators in varying stock market conditions: The Finnish evidence," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 11(4), pages 400-447.
- Malkiel, Burton & Jun, Derek, 2009. "The "value" effect and the market for Chinese stocks," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 227-241, December.
- Eero J. Pätäri & Timo H. Leivo & J.V. Samuli Honkapuro, 2010. "Enhancement of value portfolio performance using data envelopment analysis," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 223-246, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.