A meta-heuristic algorithm for heterogeneous fleet vehicle routing problems with two-dimensional loading constraints
AbstractThe two-dimensional loading heterogeneous fleet vehicle routing problem (2L-HFVRP) is a variant of the classical vehicle routing problem in which customers are served by a heterogeneous fleet of vehicles. These vehicles have different capacities, fixed and variable operating costs, length and width in dimension, and two-dimensional loading constraints. The objective of this problem is to minimize transportation cost of designed routes, according to which vehicles are used, to satisfy the customer demand. In this study, we proposed a simulated annealing with heuristic local search (SA_HLS) to solve the problem and the search was then extended with a collection of packing heuristics to solve the loading constraints in 2L-HFVRP. To speed up the search process, a data structure was used to record the information related to loading feasibility. The effectiveness of SA_HLS was tested on benchmark instances derived from the two-dimensional loading vehicle routing problem (2L-CVRP). In addition, the performance of SA_HLS was also compared with three other 2L-CVRP models and four HFVRP methods found in the literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 225 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Routing; Packing; Simulated annealing; Heterogeneous fleet;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Imran, Arif & Salhi, Said & Wassan, Niaz A., 2009. "A variable neighborhood-based heuristic for the heterogeneous fleet vehicle routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(2), pages 509-518, September.
- Zachariadis, Emmanouil E. & Tarantilis, Christos D. & Kiranoudis, Christos T., 2009. "A Guided Tabu Search for the Vehicle Routing Problem with two-dimensional loading constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(3), pages 729-743, June.
- G. B. Dantzig & J. H. Ramser, 1959. "The Truck Dispatching Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 80-91, October.
- Manuel Iori & Silvano Martello, 2010. "Routing problems with loading constraints," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 4-27, July.
- Fuellerer, Guenther & Doerner, Karl F. & Hartl, Richard F. & Iori, Manuel, 2010. "Metaheuristics for vehicle routing problems with three-dimensional loading constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(3), pages 751-759, March.
- Manuel Iori & Silvano Martello, 2010. "Rejoinder on: Routing problems with loading constraints," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 41-42, July.
- Tarantilis, C. D. & Kiranoudis, C. T. & Vassiliadis, V. S., 2004. "A threshold accepting metaheuristic for the heterogeneous fixed fleet vehicle routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(1), pages 148-158, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.