Flexible long-term capacity planning in closed-loop supply chains with remanufacturing
AbstractWe deal with long-term demand-driven capacity planning policies in the reverse channel of closed-loop supply chains (CLSCs) with remanufacturing, under high capacity acquisition cost coupled with uncertainty in actual demand, sales patterns, quality and timing of end-of-use product returns. The objective is to facilitate the decision-making when the management faces the dilemma of implementing either a strategy of early large-scale investments to benefit from economies of scale and capacity readiness, or a flexible strategy of low volume but more frequent capacity expansions. We consider a CLSC with two sequential product-types. We study the system’s response in terms of transient flows, actual/desired capacity level, capacity expansions/contractions and total supply chain profit, employing a simulation-based system dynamics optimization approach. Extensive numerical investigation covers a broad range of real-world remanufacturable products under alternative scenarios in relation to the market preference over product-types. The key findings propose flexible policies as improved alternatives to large-scale capacity expansions/contractions in terms of adaptability to the actual pattern of end-of-use product returns and involved risk in the investments’ turnover. Flexible policies are also proposed as practices to avoid overcapacity phenomena in collection and remanufacturing capacity and as robust policies to product demand. Their implementation is revealed to be even more important for the case of remanufacturing, when a high capacity acquisition unit-cost ratio (remanufacturing/collection) is coupled with strong economies of scale. Finally, results under different information sharing structures show changes in remanufacturing policies, thus justifying the importance of coordination between the decision-maker and the distributor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 225 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Supply chain management; Closed-loop supply chains; Capacity planning; System dynamics; Decision support system;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1986.
"Irreversible Investment, Capacity Choice, and the Value of the Firm,"
NBER Working Papers
1980, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1988. "Irreversible Investment, Capacity Choice, and the Value of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 969-85, December.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1986. "Irreversible investment, capacity choice, and the value of the firm," Working papers 1802-86., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Salema, Maria Isabel Gomes & Barbosa-Povoa, Ana Paula & Novais, Augusto Q., 2007. "An optimization model for the design of a capacitated multi-product reverse logistics network with uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(3), pages 1063-1077, June.
- Melo, M.T. & Nickel, S. & Saldanha-da-Gama, F., 2009. "Facility location and supply chain management - A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 401-412, July.
- Alexandar Angelus & Evan L. Porteus, 2002. "Simultaneous Capacity and Production Management of Short-Life-Cycle, Produce-to-Stock Goods Under Stochastic Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(3), pages 399-413, March.
- Kamath, Narasimha B. & Roy, Rahul, 2007. "Capacity augmentation of a supply chain for a short lifecycle product: A system dynamics framework," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(2), pages 334-351, June.
- John R. Birge, 2000. "Option Methods for Incorporating Risk into Linear Capacity Planning Models," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 19-31, August.
- Sampath Rajagopalan & Jayashankar M. Swaminathan, 2001. "A Coordinated Production Planning Model with Capacity Expansion and Inventory Management," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(11), pages 1562-1580, November.
- Östlin, Johan & Sundin, Erik & Björkman, Mats, 2008. "Importance of closed-loop supply chain relationships for product remanufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 336-348, October.
- Lebreton, Baptiste & Tuma, Axel, 2006. "A quantitative approach to assessing the profitability of car and truck tire remanufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 639-652, December.
- Eberly, Janice C. & Van Mieghem, Jan A., 1997. "Multi-factor Dynamic Investment under Uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 345-387, August.
- Julka, Nirupam & Baines, Tim & Tjahjono, Benny & Lendermann, Peter & Vitanov, Val, 2007. "A review of multi-factor capacity expansion models for manufacturing plants: Searching for a holistic decision aid," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 607-621, April.
- Francas, David & Minner, Stefan, 2009. "Manufacturing network configuration in supply chains with product recovery," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 757-769, August.
- Franke, C. & Basdere, B. & Ciupek, M. & Seliger, S., 2006. "Remanufacturing of mobile phones--capacity, program and facility adaptation planning," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 562-570, December.
- Min, Hokey & Jeung Ko, Hyun & Seong Ko, Chang, 2006. "A genetic algorithm approach to developing the multi-echelon reverse logistics network for product returns," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 56-69, January.
- Higle, Julia L. & Corrado, Charles J., 1992. "Economic investment times for capacity expansion problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 288-293, June.
- Cochran, Jeffery K. & Marquez Uribe, Alberto, 2005. "A set covering formulation for agile capacity planning within supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 139-149, February.
- Perrone, Giovanni & Amico, Michele & Lo Nigro, Giovanna & Noto La Diega, Sergio, 2002. "Long term capacity decisions in uncertain markets for advanced manufacturing systems incorporating scope economies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 125-137, November.
- Borgonovo, E. & Peccati, L., 2004. "Sensitivity analysis in investment project evaluation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 17-25, July.
- Sarah M. Ryan, 2004. "Capacity Expansion for Random Exponential Demand Growth with Lead Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(6), pages 740-748, June.
- Jan A. Van Mieghem, 2003. "Commissioned Paper: Capacity Management, Investment, and Hedging: Review and Recent Developments," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(4), pages 269-302, July.
- Vernon Ning Hsu, 2002. "Dynamic Capacity Expansion Problem with Deferred Expansion and Age-Dependent Shortage Cost," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 4(1), pages 44-54, June.
- Bish, Ebru K. & Hong, Seong J., 2006. "Coordinating the resource investment decision for a two-market, price-setting firm," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 63-88, May.
- Ferrer, Geraldo, 2001. "On the widget remanufacturing operation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 373-393, December.
- John D. Sterman, 1989. "Modeling Managerial Behavior: Misperceptions of Feedback in a Dynamic Decision Making Experiment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(3), pages 321-339, March.
- Roland Geyer & Luk N. Van Wassenhove & Atalay Atasu, 2007. "The Economics of Remanufacturing Under Limited Component Durability and Finite Product Life Cycles," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(1), pages 88-100, January.
- Chand, Suresh & McClurg, Tim & Ward, Jim, 2000. "A model for parallel machine replacement with capacity expansion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(3), pages 519-531, March.
- Georgiadis, Patroklos & Vlachos, Dimitrios, 2004. "The effect of environmental parameters on product recovery," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 449-464, September.
- Chakravarty, Amiya K., 2005. "Global plant capacity and product allocation with pricing decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(1), pages 157-181, August.
- Özdemir, Öznur & Denizel, Meltem & Guide, V. Daniel R., 2012. "Recovery decisions of a producer in a legislative disposal fee environment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(2), pages 293-300.
- Kaya, Onur, 2010. "Incentive and production decisions for remanufacturing operations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 442-453, March.
- Georgiadis, Patroklos & Athanasiou, Efstratios, 2010. "The impact of two-product joint lifecycles on capacity planning of remanufacturing networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(2), pages 420-433, April.
- Yang, Liu & Ng, C.T., 2014. "Flexible capacity strategy with multiple market periods under demand uncertainty and investment constraint," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 236(2), pages 511-521.
- Ondemir, Onder & Gupta, Surendra M., 2014. "A multi-criteria decision making model for advanced repair-to-order and disassembly-to-order system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 233(2), pages 408-419.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.