Location of a semi-obnoxious facility with elliptic maximin and network minisum objectives
AbstractThis paper considers the problem of locating a single semi-obnoxious facility on a general network, so as to minimize the total transportation cost between the new facility and the demand points (minisum), and at the same time to minimize the undesirable effects of the new facility by maximizing its distance from the closest population center (maximin). The two objectives employ different distance metrics to reflect reality. Since vehicles move on the transportation network, the shortest path distance is suitable for the minisum objective. For the maximin objective, however, the elliptic distance metric is used to reflect the impact of wind in the distribution of pollution. An efficient algorithm is developed to find the nondominated set of the bi-objective model and is implemented on a numerical example. A simulation experiment is provided to find the average computational complexity of the algorithm.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 223 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Location; Semi-obnoxious facility; Transportation network; Efficient set; Voronoi diagram;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brimberg, Jack & Juel, Henrik, 1998. "A bicriteria model for locating a semi-desirable facility in the plane," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 144-151, April.
- Plastria, Frank & Carrizosa, Emilio, 1999. "Undesirable facility location with minimal covering objectives," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 158-180, November.
- Robert F. Love & James G. Morris, 1979. "Mathematical Models of Road Travel Distances," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(2), pages 130-139, February.
- Skriver, Anders J. V. & Andersen, Kim Allan, 2003. "The bicriterion semi-obnoxious location (BSL) problem solved by an [epsilon]-approximation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(3), pages 517-528, May.
- Yapicioglu, Haluk & Smith, Alice E. & Dozier, Gerry, 2007. "Solving the semi-desirable facility location problem using bi-objective particle swarm," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 733-749, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.