Product line pricing for services with capacity constraints and dynamic substitution
AbstractIn this paper, we address a service provider’s product line pricing problem for substitutable products in services, such as concerts, sporting events, or online advertisements. For each product, a static price is selected from a pre-defined set such that the total revenue is maximised. The products are differentiated by some of their attributes, and their availability is restricted due to individual capacity constraints. Furthermore, they are simultaneously sold during a common selling period at the end of which the service is delivered. Consumers differ from one another with respect to their willingness to pay, and, hence, their reservation prices vary depending on the product. In the event of a purchase, they choose the product that maximises their consumer surplus.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 219 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Pricing; Mixed-integer programming; Branch and bound; Heuristics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory Dobson & Shlomo Kalish, 1993. "Heuristics for Pricing and Positioning a Product-Line Using Conjoint and Cost Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(2), pages 160-175, February.
- Moreno Perez, Jose A. & Marcos Moreno-Vega, J. & Rodriguez Martin, Inmaculada, 2003. "Variable neighborhood tabu search and its application to the median cycle problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 365-378, December.
- Paul E. Green & Abba M. Krieger, 1985. "Models and Heuristics for Product Line Selection," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(1), pages 1-19.
- Lingxiu Dong & Panos Kouvelis & Zhongjun Tian, 2009. "Dynamic Pricing and Inventory Control of Substitute Products," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 11(2), pages 317-339, December.
- Kyle D. Chen & Warren H. Hausman, 2000. "Technical Note: Mathematical Properties of the Optimal Product Line Selection Problem Using Choice-Based Conjoint Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(2), pages 327-332, February.
- Constantinos Maglaras & Joern Meissner, 2006.
"Dynamic Pricing Strategies for Multiproduct Revenue Management Problems,"
Manufacturing & Service Operations Management,
INFORMS, vol. 8(2), pages 136-148, July.
- Constantinos Maglaras & Joern Meissner, 2003. "Dynamic Pricing Strategies for Multi-Product Revenue Management Problems," Working Papers MRG/0002, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised Nov 2005.
- Kraus, Ursula G. & Yano, Candace Arai, 2003. "Product line selection and pricing under a share-of-surplus choice model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 150(3), pages 653-671, November.
- Gregory Dobson & Shlomo Kalish, 1988. "Positioning and Pricing a Product Line," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(2), pages 107-125.
- Ward Hanson & Kipp Martin, 1996. "Optimizing Multinomial Logit Profit Functions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(7), pages 992-1003, July.
- Day, Jamison M. & Venkataramanan, M.A., 2006. "Profitability in product line pricing and composition with manufacturing commonalities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(3), pages 1782-1797, December.
- Mayer, Stefan & Klein, Robert & Seiermann, Stephanie, 2013. "A simulation-based approach to price optimisation of the mixed bundling problem with capacity constraints," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 145(2), pages 584-598.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.