Efficiency of the medical care industry: Evidence from the Italian regional system
AbstractWhat might be the relation between clinical research and efficiency of medical care suppliers? Is the hypothesis of a positive relation consistent? Considering efficiency as the supplier’s ability to maximize the number of patients hospitalized in a mobility process among regions (i.e. mobility balance), this work aims at highlighting the existence of a positive externality of pharmaceutical clinical research on that kind of efficiency. In other words, an externality is able to affect the patients’ perception of good/bad quality of outputs supplied by the medical care industry, leading their mobility process. Taking Italy and the mobility of patients among regions into account, an Operational Research study will be performed in order to support this assumption.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 217 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
OR in health services; Data Envelopment Analysis; Pharmaceutical clinical research; Medical researcher; Research subjects; Regional analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Staub, Roberta B. & da Silva e Souza, Geraldo & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2010.
"Evolution of bank efficiency in Brazil: A DEA approach,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 202(1), pages 204-213, April.
- Roberta B. Staub & Geraldo Souza & Benjamin M. Tabak, 2009. "Evolution of Bank Efficiency in Brazil: A DEA Approach," Working Papers Series 200, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 1999.
"Estimating and bootstrapping Malmquist indices,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 459-471, June.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995.
"Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., . "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Chang, Hsihui & Cheng, Mei-Ai & Das, Somnath, 2004. "Hospital ownership and operating efficiency: Evidence from Taiwan," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 513-527, December.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Martin Dlouhý & Josef Jablonský & Ivana Novosádová, 2007. "Use of data envelopment analysis for efficiency evaluation of czech hospitals," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2007(1), pages 60-71.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Nektarios, Milton & Assaf, A., 2010. "Efficiency in the Greek insurance industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 205(2), pages 431-436, September.
- Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "Assessing bank efficiency and performance with operational research and artificial intelligence techniques: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 189-198, July.
- Ray, Subhash C. & Das, Abhiman, 2010. "Distribution of cost and profit efficiency: Evidence from Indian banking," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(1), pages 297-307, February.
- Chen, Andrew & Hwang, Yuhchang & Shao, Benjamin, 2005. "Measurement and sources of overall and input inefficiencies: Evidences and implications in hospital services," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 447-468, March.
- Brailsford, Sally & Vissers, Jan, 2011. "OR in healthcare: A European perspective," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(2), pages 223-234, July.
- Royston, Geoff, 1998. "Shifting the balance of health care into the 21st century," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 267-276, March.
- Cook, Wade D. & Seiford, Larry M., 2009. "Data envelopment analysis (DEA) - Thirty years on," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Jan Vissers, 1998. "Health care management modelling: a process perspective," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 77-85, October.
- Zhou, P. & Ang, B.W. & Poh, K.L., 2008. "A survey of data envelopment analysis in energy and environmental studies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 189(1), pages 1-18, August.
- Lagergren, Marten, 2005. "What happened to the care of older persons in Sweden?: A retrospective analysis based upon simulation model calculations, 1985-2000," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 314-324, November.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Hung, Shiu-Wan & Lu, Wen-Min & Wang, Tung-Pao, 2010. "Benchmarking the operating efficiency of Asia container ports," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 203(3), pages 706-713, June.
- Chen, Ting-Yu & Chang, Chien-Hung & Rachel Lu, Jui-fen, 2013. "The extended QUALIFLEX method for multiple criteria decision analysis based on interval type-2 fuzzy sets and applications to medical decision making," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 615-625.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.