The effect of demand uncertainty in a price-setting newsvendor model
AbstractWe study the effects of demand uncertainty on optimal decisions and the expected profit of a price-setting newsvendor who faces either additive or multiplicative stochastic demand. Our key findings are as follows. (1) A stochastically larger demand may even lead to a smaller order size and a lower profit when price is endogenous. (2) A stochastically larger demand will lead to a higher selling price in general for the additive demand case but to a lower selling price under certain mild conditions for the multiplicative demand case. Moreover, if the larger demand can be represented by a transformation of the lower one, it will lead to a higher expected profit for both demand cases. However, except for the setting with a zero shortage cost, a larger demand may not necessarily result in a higher expected profit in general. (3) Under mild conditions, a less variable demand will lead to a higher and lower selling price for the additive and multiplicative demand case, respectively, and a higher expected profit for both cases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 207 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Newsvendor Pricing Demand uncertainty Stochastic comparison;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sandal, Leif K. & Ubøe, Jan, 2012. "Stackelberg equilibria in a multiperiod vertical contracting model with uncertain and price-dependent demand," Discussion Papers 2012/2, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Brito, Anderson J. & de Almeida, Adiel T., 2012. "Modeling a multi-attribute utility newsvendor with partial backlogging," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 820-830.
- Arcelus, F.J. & Kumar, Satyendra & Srinivasan, G., 2012. "Risk tolerance and a retailer's pricing and ordering policies within a newsvendor framework," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 188-198, April.
- Jammernegg, Werner & Kischka, Peter, 2013. "The price-setting newsvendor with service and loss constraints," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 326-335.
- Arcelus, F.J. & Kumar, Satyendra & Srinivasan, G., 2012. "The effectiveness of manufacturer vs. retailer rebates within a newsvendor framework," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(2), pages 252-263.
- Xu, Minghui & Lu, Ye, 2013. "The effect of supply uncertainty in price-setting newsvendor models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 227(3), pages 423-433.
- Chen, Yun Chu & Fang, Shu-Cherng & Wen, Ue-Pyng, 2013. "Pricing policies for substitutable products in a supply chain with Internet and traditional channels," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(3), pages 542-551.
- Colombo, Luca & Labrecciosa, Paola, 2012. "A note on pricing with risk aversion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(1), pages 252-254.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.