The design of robust value-creating supply chain networks: A critical review
AbstractThis paper discusses Supply Chain Network (SCN) design problem under uncertainty, and presents a critical review of the optimization models proposed in the literature. Some drawbacks and missing aspects in the literature are pointed out, thus motivating the development of a comprehensive SCN design methodology. Through an analysis of supply chains uncertainty sources and risk exposures, the paper reviews key random environmental factors and discusses the nature of major disruptive events threatening SCN. It also discusses relevant strategic SCN design evaluation criteria, and it reviews their use in existing models. We argue for the assessment of SCN robustness as a necessary condition to ensure sustainable value creation. Several definitions of robustness, responsiveness and resilience are reviewed, and the importance of these concepts for SCN design is discussed. This paper contributes to framing the foundations for a robust SCN design methodology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 203 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Supply chain network design Value creation Uncertainty Network disruptions Robustness Scenario planning Location models Capacity models Resilience strategies;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hassini, Elkafi & Surti, Chirag & Searcy, Cory, 2012. "A literature review and a case study of sustainable supply chains with a focus on metrics," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 69-82.
- Mallidis, I. & Vlachos, D. & Dekker, R., 2010.
"Greening Supply Chains: Impact on Cost and Design,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2010-39a, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Walther, Grit & Schatka, Anne & Spengler, Thomas S., 2012. "Design of regional production networks for second generation synthetic bio-fuel – A case study in Northern Germany," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(1), pages 280-292.
- Cardoso, Sónia R. & Barbosa-Póvoa, Ana Paula F.D. & Relvas, Susana, 2013. "Design and planning of supply chains with integration of reverse logistics activities under demand uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 436-451.
- Ivanov, Dmitry & Sokolov, Boris, 2013. "Control and system-theoretic identification of the supply chain dynamics domain for planning, analysis and adaptation of performance under uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(2), pages 313-323.
- Das, Kanchan, 2011. "Integrating effective flexibility measures into a strategic supply chain planning model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(1), pages 170-183, May.
- Georgiadis, Michael C. & Tsiakis, Panagiotis & Longinidis, Pantelis & Sofioglou, Maria K., 2011. "Optimal design of supply chain networks under uncertain transient demand variations," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 254-272, June.
- Longinidis, Pantelis & Georgiadis, Michael C., 2014. "Integration of sale and leaseback in the optimal design of supply chain networks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 73-89.
- Elimam, A.A. & Dodin, B., 2013. "Project scheduling in optimizing integrated supply chain operations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(3), pages 530-541.
- Longinidis, Pantelis & Georgiadis, Michael C., 2011. "Integration of financial statement analysis in the optimal design of supply chain networks under demand uncertainty," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 262-276, February.
- Klibi, Walid & Martel, Alain, 2012. "Scenario-based Supply Chain Network risk modeling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(3), pages 644-658.
- Klibi, Walid & Martel, Alain, 2012. "Modeling approaches for the design of resilient supply networks under disruptions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 882-898.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.