Evolution of bank efficiency in Brazil: A DEA approach
AbstractThis paper investigates cost, technical and allocative efficiencies for Brazilian banks in the recent period (2000-2007). We use Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) to compute efficiency scores. Brazilian banks were found to have low levels of economic (cost) efficiency compared to banks in Europe and in the US. For the period with high macroeconomic volatility (2000-2002) the economic inefficiency in Brazilian banks can be attributed mainly to technical inefficiency rather than allocative inefficiency. State-owned banks are significantly more cost efficient than foreign, private domestic and private with foreign participation. There is no evidence of differences in economic efficiency due to type of activity and bank size. These results may provide some useful guidance for financial regulators and bank managers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 202 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
DEA Bank efficiency Emerging markets Bank consolidation Ownership;
Other versions of this item:
- Roberta B. Staub & Geraldo Souza & Benjamin M. Tabak, 2009. "Evolution of Bank Efficiency in Brazil: A DEA Approach," Working Papers Series 200, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yong Li & Mancang Wang, 2012. "Capital regulation, monetary policy and asymmetric effects of commercial banks' efficiency," China Finance Review International, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(1), pages 5-26, February.
- Benjamin M. Tabak & Dimas M. Fazio & Daniel O. Cajueiro, 2010.
"The Effects of Loan Portfolio Concentration on Brazilian Banks' Return and Risk,"
Working Papers Series
215, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Tabak, Benjamin M. & Fazio, Dimas M. & Cajueiro, Daniel O., 2011. "The effects of loan portfolio concentration on Brazilian banks' return and risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 3065-3076, November.
- E. Nur Ozkan Gunay, 2012. "Risk Incorporation and Efficiency in Emerging Market Banks During the Global Crisis: Evidence from Turkey, 2002-2009," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(S5), pages 91-102, November.
- Benjamin M. Tabak & Daniel O. Cajueiro & Marina V. B. Dias, 2014. "The Adequacy of Deterministic and Parametric Frontiers to Analyze the Efficiency of Indian Commercial Banks," Working Papers Series 350, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Asongu Simplice, 2011. "Globalization, Financial Development and Regional Economic Dynamics: asymmetric panel evidence from Africa," Working Papers 11/008, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Simplice A, Asongu, 2010.
"Bank efficiency and openness in Africa: do income levels matter?,"
27011, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Simplice Anutechia Asongu, 2012. "Bank Efficiency and Openness in Africa: Do Income Levels Matter?," The Review of Finance and Banking, Academia de Studii Economice din Bucuresti, Romania / Facultatea de Finante, Asigurari, Banci si Burse de Valori / Catedra de Finante, vol. 4(2), pages 115-122, December.
- Asongu Simplice, 2010. "Bank Efficiency and Openness in Africa: Do Income Levels Matter?," Working Papers 10/001, African Governance and Development Institute., revised 18 Dec 2011.
- Benjamin M. Tabak & Giovana L. Craveiro & Daniel O. Cajueiro, 2011. "Bank Efficiency and Default in Brazil: Causality Tests," Working Papers Series 253, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Francisco Vazquez & Benjamin M. Tabak & Marcos Souto, 2010.
"A Macro Stress Test Model of Credit Risk for the Brazilian Banking Sector,"
Working Papers Series
226, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Vazquez, Francisco & Tabak, Benjamin M. & Souto, Marcos, 2012. "A macro stress test model of credit risk for the Brazilian banking sector," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 69-83.
- Huang, Wei & Eling, Martin, 2013. "An efficiency comparison of the non-life insurance industry in the BRIC countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 577-591.
- Alperovych, Yan & Amess, Kevin & Wright, Mike, 2013.
"Private equity firm experience and buyout vendor source: What is their impact on efficiency?,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 228(3), pages 601-611.
- Y. Alperovych & K. Amess & M. Wright, 2012. "Private Equity Firm Experience and Buy-out Vendor Source: What is their Impact on Efficiency?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 12/800, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Zhang, Jianhua & Jiang, Chunxia & Qu, Baozhi & Wang, Peng, 2013. "Market concentration, risk-taking, and bank performance: Evidence from emerging economies," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 149-157.
- Bertha Elizabeth & Nanny Dewi & Aldrin Herwany, 2012. "The Analysis Of Factors That Influence Relative Efficiency Of General Banks After The Implementation Of Indonesia Banking Architecture," Working Papers in Business, Management and Finance 201201, Department of Management and Business, Padjadjaran University, revised Dec 2012.
- Simplice A., Asongu, 2011. "Globalization, financial allocation efficiency and regional economic dynamics: asymmetric panel evidence from Africa," MPRA Paper 33901, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ippoliti, Roberto & Falavigna, Greta, 2012. "Efficiency of the medical care industry: Evidence from the Italian regional system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(3), pages 643-652.
- Miguel SARMIENTOÕ & Andrés CEPEDA & Hernando MUTIS & Juan F. PÉREZ, 2013. "Nueva Evidencia sobre la Eficiencia de la Banca," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÃA 010705, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Wanke, Peter, 2014. "Banking efficiency in Brazil," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 54-65.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.