Distribution of cost and profit efficiency: Evidence from Indian banking
AbstractThis paper uses the nonparametric DEA methodology to estimate cost and profit efficiency of Indian banks during the post-reform period. The results show considerable variation in average levels of profit efficiency across various ownership categories of banks. In general, state owned banks are found to be more efficient than their private counter parts. Further, efficiency tends to be low among the small banks (assets up to Rs. 50 billion), indicating that at the existing scale of operations, these banks are operating far below the efficient frontier. We also examine the distribution of efficiency using nonparametric kernel density estimates. The analysis reveals a rightward-shift of the efficiency distribution over the years. A major part of this shift comes from the state owned banks. Based on the conditional distribution, the study finds strong evidence of ownership explaining the efficiency differential of banks. Additionally, bank size and product-mix are also found to be important, although to a lesser extent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 201 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Bank Data envelopment analysis Efficiency Distribution;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Huang, Wei & Eling, Martin, 2013. "An efficiency comparison of the non-life insurance industry in the BRIC countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 577-591.
- Dwivedi Amit Kumar & Charyulu Kumara D., . "Efficiency of Indian Banking Industry in the Post-Reform Era," IIMA Working Papers WP2011-03-01, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Epure, Mircea & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego, 2011. "Bank productivity and performance groups: A decomposition approach based upon the Luenberger productivity indicator," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(3), pages 630-641, June.
- Patricia Tecles & Benjamin M. Tabak, 2010.
"Determinants of Bank Efficiency: the case of Brazil,"
Working Papers Series
210, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Tecles, Patricia Langsch & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2010. "Determinants of bank efficiency: The case of Brazil," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1587-1598, December.
- Ippoliti, Roberto & Falavigna, Greta, 2012. "Efficiency of the medical care industry: Evidence from the Italian regional system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(3), pages 643-652.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.