Network flow-based approaches for integrated aircraft fleeting and routing
AbstractGiven a schedule of flights to be flown, the aircraft fleeting and routing problem (AFRP) consists of determining a minimum-cost route assignment for each aircraft so as to cover each flight by exactly one aircraft while satisfying maintenance requirements and other activity constraints. We investigate network flow-based heuristic approaches for this problem. Computational experiments conducted on real-data given by TunisAir show that the proposed heuristic consistently yields very near-optimal solutions while requiring modest CPU effort.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 193 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
OR in airlines Airline fleet assignment Aircraft routing Network flows;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sherali, Hanif D. & Bish, Ebru K. & Zhu, Xiaomei, 2006. "Airline fleet assignment concepts, models, and algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 172(1), pages 1-30, July.
- Thomas A. Feo & Jonathan F. Bard, 1989. "Flight Scheduling and Maintenance Base Planning," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1415-1432, December.
- Guy Desaulniers & Jacques Desrosiers & Yvan Dumas & Marius M. Solomon & François Soumis, 1997. "Daily Aircraft Routing and Scheduling," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(6), pages 841-855, June.
- Bartholomew-Biggs, M. C. & Parkhurst, S. C. & Wilson, S. P., 2003. "Global optimization approaches to an aircraft routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 417-431, April.
- Ioachim, Irina & Desrosiers, Jacques & Soumis, Francois & Belanger, Nicolas, 1999. "Fleet assignment and routing with schedule synchronization constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 75-90, November.
- Belanger, Nicolas & Desaulniers, Guy & Soumis, Francois & Desrosiers, Jacques, 2006. "Periodic airline fleet assignment with time windows, spacing constraints, and time dependent revenues," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(3), pages 1754-1766, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.