A new discrete particle swarm optimization approach for the single-machine total weighted tardiness scheduling problem with sequence-dependent setup times
AbstractIn this paper we present a new Discrete Particle Swarm Optimization (DPSO) approach to face the NP-hard single machine total weighted tardiness scheduling problem in presence of sequence-dependent setup times. Differently from previous approaches the proposed DPSO uses a discrete model both for particle position and velocity and a coherent sequence metric. We tested the proposed DPSO mainly over a benchmark originally proposed by Cicirello in 2003 and available online. The results obtained show the competitiveness of our DPSO, which is able to outperform the best known results for the benchmark. In addition, we also tested the DPSO on a set of benchmark instances from ORLIB for the single machine total weighted tardiness problem, and we analysed the role of the DPSO swarm intelligence mechanisms as well as the local search intensification phase included in the algorithm.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 193 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Metaheuristics Particle swarm optimization Scheduling;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tasgetiren, M. Fatih & Liang, Yun-Chia & Sevkli, Mehmet & Gencyilmaz, Gunes, 2007. "A particle swarm optimization algorithm for makespan and total flowtime minimization in the permutation flowshop sequencing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1930-1947, March.
- Franca, Paulo M. & Mendes, Alexandre & Moscato, Pablo, 2001. "A memetic algorithm for the total tardiness single machine scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 224-242, July.
- Og[breve]uz, Ceyda & Sibel Salman, F. & Bilgintürk YalçIn, Zehra, 2010. "Order acceptance and scheduling decisions in make-to-order systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 200-211, May.
- Albert Corominas & Alberto García-Villoria & Rafael Pastor, 2013. "Metaheuristic algorithms hybridised with variable neighbourhood search for solving the response time variability problem," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 296-312, July.
- Mallor, Fermin & Guardiola, Ivan G., 2014. "The Weibull scheduling index for client driven manufacturing processes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 150(C), pages 225-238.
- Chen, Yin-Yann & Cheng, Chen-Yang & Wang, Li-Chih & Chen, Tzu-Li, 2013. "A hybrid approach based on the variable neighborhood search and particle swarm optimization for parallel machine scheduling problems—A case study for solar cell industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 66-78.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.