Simple heuristics for push and pull remanufacturing policies
AbstractInventory policies for joint remanufacturing and manufacturing have recently received much attention. Most efforts, though, were related to (optimal) policy structures and numerical optimization, rather than closed form expressions for calculating near optimal policy parameters. The focus of this paper is on the latter. We analyze an inventory system with unit product returns and demands where remanufacturing is the cheaper alternative for manufacturing. Manufacturing is also needed, however, since there are less returns than demands. The cost structure consists of setup costs, holding costs, and backorder costs. Manufacturing and remanufacturing orders have non-zero lead times. To control the system we use certain extensions of the familiar (s,Q) policy, called push and pull remanufacturing policies. For all policies we present simple, closed form formulae for approximating the optimal policy parameters under a cost minimization objective. In an extensive numerical study we show that the proposed formulae lead to near-optimal policy parameters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 175 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Other versions of this item:
- van der Laan, E.A. & Teunter, R.H., 2004. "Simple heuristics for push and pull remanufacturing policies," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-090-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- van der Laan, E.A. & Teunter, R.H., 2004. "Simple heuristics for push and pull remanufacturing policies," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2004-34, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- M - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
- R4 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mahadevan, B. & Pyke, David F. & Fleischmann, Moritz, 2003. "Periodic review, push inventory policies for remanufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 536-551, December.
- Fleischmann, Moritz & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline M. & Dekker, Rommert & van der Laan, Erwin & van Nunen, Jo A. E. E. & Van Wassenhove, Luk N., 1997. "Quantitative models for reverse logistics: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 1-17, November.
- van der Laan, Erwin & Dekker, Rommert & Salomon, Marc & Ridder, Ad, 1996. "An (s, Q) inventory model with remanufacturing and disposal," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 339-350, December.
- Poles, Roberto, 2013. "System Dynamics modelling of a production and inventory system for remanufacturing to evaluate system improvement strategies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 189-199.
- Ahiska, S. Sebnem & King, Russell E., 2010. "Life cycle inventory policy characterizations for a single-product recoverable system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 51-61, March.
- Retel Helmrich, M. & Jans, R.F. & van den Heuvel, W.J. & Wagelmans, A.P.M., 2010. "Economic lot-sizing with remanufacturing: complexity and efficient formulations," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2010-71, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Sebnem Ahiska, S. & King, Russell E., 2010. "Inventory optimization in a one product recoverable manufacturing system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 11-19, March.
- Hsueh, Che-Fu, 2011. "An inventory control model with consideration of remanufacturing and product life cycle," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 645-652, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.