Ex-ante efficiency of bankruptcy procedures
AbstractThis paper suggests a framework to analyze the efficiency properties of bankruptcy procedures, distinguishing between ex-ante and ex-post efficiency. Ex-post efficiency consists in maximizing the ex-post value of the insolvent firm, whereas ex-ante efficiency consists in maximizing the proceeds to creditors from the reorganization of the firm and providing incentives for the creditors to monitor the firm. We show that the definition of creditors rights over the company and the protection of the creditors' seniority, are crucial to asses the ex-ante efficiency of a bankruptcy procedure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 41 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3-5 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eer
Other versions of this item:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Jeremy Bulow & Ming Huang & Paul Klemperer, 1996.
"Toeholds and Takeovers,"
- Jeremy Bulow & Ming Huang & Paul Klemperer, 1999. "Toeholds and Takeovers," Finance 9903005, EconWPA.
- Paul Klemperer & Jeremy Bulow, 1998. "Toeholds and Takeovers," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Huang, Ming & Klemperer, Paul, 1996. "Toeholds and Takeovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1486, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bebchuk, Lucian Ayre & Chang, Howard F, 1992.
"Bargaining and the Division of Value in Corporate Reorganization,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 8(2), pages 253-79, April.
- Lucian Arye Bebchuk & Howard F. Chang, 1991. "Bargaining and the Division of Value in Corporate Reorganization," NBER Technical Working Papers 0097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baird, Douglas G & Picker, Randal C, 1991. "A Simple Noncooperative Bargaining Model of Corporate Reorganizations," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(2), pages 311-49, June.
- Aghion, Philippe & Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1992.
"The Economics of Bankruptcy Reform,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 523-46, October.
- Philippe Aghion & Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1992. "The Economics of Bankruptcy Reform," NBER Working Papers 4097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Hart, O. & Moore, J., 1992. "The Economics of Bankruptcy Reform," Working papers 92-11, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1992. "The Economics of Bankruptcy Reform," CEP Discussion Papers dp0093, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Burkart, Mike, 1995. " Initial Shareholdings and Overbidding in Takeover Contests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1491-1515, December.
- Franks, Julian R & Torous, Walter N, 1992. "Lessons from a Comparison of U.S. and U.K. Insolvency Codes," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 70-82, Autumn.
- Bolton, Patrick & Scharfstein, David S, 1996. "Optimal Debt Structure and the Number of Creditors," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Zingales, Luigi, 1995. "Insider Ownership and the Decision to Go Public," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 425-48, July.
- Weiss, Lawrence A., 1990. "Bankruptcy resolution: Direct costs and violation of priority of claims," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 285-314, October.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bolton, Patrick, 1992. "An Incomplete Contracts Approach to Financial Contracting," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 473-94, July.
- Régis Blazy & Laurent Weill, 2006.
"The Impact of Legal Sanctions on Moral Hazard when Debt Contracts are Renegotiable,"
LSF Research Working Paper Series
06-09, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Régis Blazy & Laurent Weill, 2007. "The impact of legal sanctions on moral hazard when debt contracts are renegotiable?," DULBEA Working Papers 07-06.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Régis Blazy & Laurent Weill, 2007. "The impact of legal sanctions on moral hazard when debt contracts are renegotiable?," Working Papers CEB 07-012.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hege, Ulrich, 2003. "Workouts, court-supervised reorganization and the choice between private and public debt," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 233-269, March.
- Ernst-Ludwig VON THADDEN & Erik BERGLÖF & Gérard ROLAND, 2003. "Optimal Debt Design and the Role of Bankruptcy," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 03.13, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Régis Blazy & Bertrand Chopard & Agnès Fimayer & Jean-Daniel Guigou, 2009.
"Financial versus Social Efficiency of Corporate Bankruptcy Law: the French Dilemma?,"
Working Papers of BETA
2009-12, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Régis Blazy & Bertrand Chopard & Agnès Fimayer & Jean-Daniel Guigou, 2007. "Financial versus Social Efficiency of Corporate Bankruptcy Law: the French Dilemma?," LSF Research Working Paper Series 07-02, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Cargill, Thomas F. & Parker, Elliott, 2002. "Asian finance and the role of bankruptcy: a model of the transition costs of financial liberalization," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 297-318.
- Gangopadhyay, Shubhashis & Wihlborg, Clas, 2001. "The Impact of Bankruptcy Rules on Risky Project Choice and Skill Formation under Credit Rationing," Working Papers 2001-5, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Finance.
- Kolecek, Ludek, 2008. "Bankruptcy laws and debt renegotiation," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 40-61, April.
- Wihlborg, Clas, 2002. "Insolvency and Debt Recovery Procedures in Economic Development: An Overview of African Law," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Araújo, Aloísio Pessoa de & Funchal, Bruno, 2005. "Past and Future of the Bankruptcy Law in Brazil and Latin America," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 599, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Buttwill, Klas & Wihlborg, Clas, 2005. "The Efficiency of the Bankruptcy Process. An International Comparison," Ratio Working Papers 65, The Ratio Institute.
- Zakolyukina Anastasia, 2006. "Bankrtuptcy in Russia: External Management Performance," EERC Working Paper Series 06-09e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Bhattacharyya, Sugato & Singh, Rajdeep, 1999. "The resolution of bankruptcy by auction: allocating the residual right of design," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 269-294, December.
- Gennaioli, Nicola & Rossi, Stefano, 2008. "Optimal Resolutions of Financial Distress by Contract," CEI Working Paper Series 2008-6, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Alessandro Penati & Luigi Zingales, 1997. "Efficiency and Distribution in Financial Restructuring: The Case of the Ferruzzi Group," CRSP working papers 466, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Michelle J. White, 2005. "Economic Analysis of Corporate and Personal Bankruptcy Law," NBER Working Papers 11536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Korkeamäki, Timo & Koskinen, Yrjö & Takalo, Tuomas, 2007.
"Phoenix rising: Legal reforms and changes in valuations in Finland during the economic crisis,"
Research Discussion Papers
1/2007, Bank of Finland.
- Korkeamaki, Timo & Koskinen, Yrjo & Takalo, Tuomas, 2007. "Phoenix rising: Legal reforms and changes in valuations in Finland during the economic crisis," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 33-58, April.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Sundaram, Rangarajan K. & John, Kose, 2011.
"Cross-country variations in capital structures: The role of bankruptcy codes,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 25-54, January.
- Acharya, Viral V & John, Kose & Sundaram, Rangarajan K, 2005. "Cross-Country Variations in Capital Structures: The Role of Bankruptcy Codes," CEPR Discussion Papers 4916, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Régis Blazy & Gisèle Umbhauer & Laurent Weill, 2008. "How Bankruptcy Punishment Influences the Ex-Ante Design of Debt Contracts?," LSF Research Working Paper Series 08-04, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Régis Blazy & Laurent Weill, 2006. "How Recovery Process Influences the Design of Debt Contracts?," LSF Research Working Paper Series 06-08, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.