Nonparametric seemingly unrelated regression
AbstractThis paper presnets a method for simultaneously estimating a system of nonparametric multiple regressions which may seem unrelated, but where the errors are potentially correlated between equations. We show that the prime advantage of estimating such a 'seemingly unrelated' system of nonparametric regressions is that substantially less observations can be required to obtain reliable functions estimates than if each of the regression equations was estimated separately and the correlation ignored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 98 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Other versions of this item:
- Smith, M. & Kohn, R., 1998. "Nonparametric Seemingly Unrelated Regression," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 7/98, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Michael, 2000. "Modeling and Short-term Forecasting of New South Wales Electricity System Load," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(4), pages 465-78, October.
- Min, Chung-ki & Zellner, Arnold, 1993.
"Bayesian and non-Bayesian methods for combining models and forecasts with applications to forecasting international growth rates,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 89-118, March.
- Min, C.K. & Zellner, A., 1992. ""Bayesian and Non-Bayesian Methods for Combining Models and Forecasts with Applications to Forecasting International Growth Rates"," Papers 90-92-23, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Smith, M. & Kohn, R., .
"Nonparametric Regression using Bayesian Variable Selection,"
Statistics Working Paper
_009, Australian Graduate School of Management.
- Smith, Michael & Kohn, Robert, 1996. "Nonparametric regression using Bayesian variable selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 317-343, December.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1995. "Hierarchical analysis of SUR models with extensions to correlated serial errors and time-varying parameter models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 339-360, August.
- Dale J. Poirier & Gary Koop & Justin Tobias, 2005.
"Semiparametric Bayesian inference in multiple equation models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 723-747.
- Koop, Gary M & Poirier, Dale J & Tobias, Justin, 2005. "Semiparametric Bayesian Inference in Multiple Equation Models," Staff General Research Papers 12009, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Stephen Satchell & Soosung Hwang & Anthony Hall, 1999.
"Using Bayesian Variable Selection Methods to Choose Style Factors in Global Stock Return Models,"
wp99-01, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Hall, Anthony D. & Hwang, Soosung & Satchell, Stephen E., 2002. "Using Bayesian variable selection methods to choose style factors in global stock return models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(12), pages 2301-2325.
- Anthony Hall & Soosung Hwang & Stephen E. Satchell, 2000. "Using Bayesian Variable Selection Methods to Choose Style Factors in Global Stock Return Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1213, Econometric Society.
- Bin Zhou & Qinfeng Xu & Jinhong You, 2011. "Efficient estimation for error component seemingly unrelated nonparametric regression models," Metrika, Springer, vol. 73(1), pages 121-138, January.
- Sune Karlsson & Tor Jacobson, 2004.
"Finding good predictors for inflation: a Bayesian model averaging approach,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(7), pages 479-496.
- Jacobson, Tor & Karlsson, Sune, 2002. "Finding Good Predictors for Inflation: A Bayesian Model Averaging Approach," Working Paper Series 138, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Zellner, Arnold & Ando, Tomohiro, 2010. "A direct Monte Carlo approach for Bayesian analysis of the seemingly unrelated regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 33-45, November.
- Ericsson, Johan & Karlsson, Sune, 2003. "Choosing Factors in a Multifactor Asset Pricing Model: A Bayesian Approach," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 524, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 12 Feb 2004.
- Rosen, Ori & Thompson, Wesley K., 2009. "A Bayesian regression model for multivariate functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(11), pages 3773-3786, September.
- Martins-Filho, Carlos & Yao, Feng, 2009. "Nonparametric regression estimation with general parametric error covariance," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 309-333, March.
- Xu, Qinfeng & You, Jinhong & Zhou, Bin, 2008. "Seemingly unrelated nonparametric models with positive correlation and constrained error variances," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 223-227, May.
- Orbe, Susan & Ferreira, Eva & Rodriguez-Poo, Juan, 2003. "An algorithm to estimate time-varying parameter SURE models under different types of restriction," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 363-383, March.
- Wang, Hao, 2010. "Sparse seemingly unrelated regression modelling: Applications in finance and econometrics," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(11), pages 2866-2877, November.
- Griffiths, W.E., 2001. "Bayesian Inference in the Seemingly Unrelated Regressions Models," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 793, The University of Melbourne.
- W.E. Griffiths & Ma. Rebecca Valenzuela, 2004. "Gibbs Samplers for a Set of Seemingly Unrelated Regressions," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 912, The University of Melbourne.
- Panagiotelis, Anastasios & Smith, Michael, 2008. "Bayesian identification, selection and estimation of semiparametric functions in high-dimensional additive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(2), pages 291-316, April.
- De Gooijer, Jan G. & Ray, Bonnie K., 2003. "Modeling vector nonlinear time series using POLYMARS," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 73-90, February.
- Anthony D. Hall & S. Hwang & Steve Satchell, 2000. "Using Bayesian Variable Selection Methods to Choose Style Factors in Global Stock Return," Research Paper Series 31, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.