Jackknife model averaging
AbstractWe consider the problem of obtaining appropriate weights for averaging M approximate (misspecified) models for improved estimation of an unknown conditional mean in the face of non-nested model uncertainty in heteroskedastic error settings. We propose a “jackknife model averaging” (JMA) estimator which selects the weights by minimizing a cross-validation criterion. This criterion is quadratic in the weights, so computation is a simple application of quadratic programming. We show that our estimator is asymptotically optimal in the sense of achieving the lowest possible expected squared error. Monte Carlo simulations and an illustrative application show that JMA can achieve significant efficiency gains over existing model selection and averaging methods in the presence of heteroskedasticity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 167 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2007. "Least Squares Model Averaging," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(4), pages 1175-1189, 07.
- Yang Y., 2001. "Adaptive Regression by Mixing," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 574-588, June.
- Racine, Jeff, 1997. "Feasible Cross-Validatory Model Selection for General Stationary Processes," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 169-79, March-Apr.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1991. "Asymptotic optimality of generalized CL, cross-validation, and generalized cross-validation in regression with heteroskedastic errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 359-377, February.
- Wan, Alan T.K. & Zhang, Xinyu & Zou, Guohua, 2010. "Least squares model averaging by Mallows criterion," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 156(2), pages 277-283, June.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Moral-Benito, Enrique, 2010.
"Model averaging in economics,"
26047, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tian Xie, 2012. "Least Squares Model Averaging by Prediction Criterion," Working Papers 1299, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Herrera Gómez, Marcos & Mur Lacambra, Jesús & Ruiz Marín, Manuel, 2011.
"¿Cuál matriz de pesos espaciales?. Un enfoque sobre selección de modelos
[Which spatial weighting matrix? An approach for model selection]," MPRA Paper 37585, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jesus Mur & Marcos Herrera & Manuel Ruiz, 2011. "Selecting the W Matrix. Parametric vs Nonparametric Approaches," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1055, European Regional Science Association.
- Branko Urošević & Milan Nedeljković & Emir Zildžović, 2012. "Jackknife Model Averaging of the Current Account Determinants," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(3), pages 267-281, June.
- Liu, Qingfeng, 2011. "Generalized Cp Model Averaging for Heteroskedastic Models," ãã¸ãã¹åµé ã»ã³ã¿ã¼ãã£ã¹ã«ãã·ã§ã³ã»ãã¼ãã¼ (Discussion papers of the Center for Business Creation) 10252/4544, Otaru University of Commerce.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2010. "Averaging estimators for autoregressions with a near unit root," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 142-155, September.
- Liu, Chu-An, 2012. "A plug-in averaging estimator for regressions with heteroskedastic errors," MPRA Paper 41414, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Milan Nedeljkovic & Branko Uroševic & Emir Zildžovic, 2012. "Jackknife Model Averaging of the Current Account Determinants," Working papers 23, National Bank of Serbia.
- Xu Cheng & Bruce E. Hansen, 2012. "Forecasting with Factor-Augmented Regression: A Frequentist Model Averaging Approach," PIER Working Paper Archive 12-046, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jesus Mur & Antonio Paez, 2011. "Local weighting or the necessity of flexibility," ERSA conference papers ersa11p942, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.