Wavelet analysis of change-points in a non-parametric regression with heteroscedastic variance
AbstractIn this paper we develop wavelet methods for detecting and estimating jumps and cusps in the mean function of a non-parametric regression model. An important characteristic of the model considered here is that it allows for conditional heteroscedastic variance, a feature frequently encountered with economic and financial data. Wavelet analysis of change-points in this model has been considered in a limited way in a recent study by Chen etÂ al. (2008) with a focus on jumps only. One problem with the aforementioned paper is that the test statistic developed there has an extreme value null limit distribution. The results of other studies have shown that the rate of convergence to the extreme value distribution is usually very slow, and critical values derived from this distribution tend to be much larger than the true ones. Here, we develop a new test and show that the test statistic has a convenient null limit N(0,1) distribution. This feature gives the proposed approach an appealing advantage over the existing approach. Another attractive feature of our results is that the asymptotic theory developed here holds for both jumps and cusps. Implementation of the proposed method for multiple jumps and cusps is also examined. The results from a simulation study show that the new test has excellent power and the estimators developed also yield very accurate estimates of the positions of the discontinuities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 159 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
[lambda]-sharp cusp Asymptotic Distribution Convergence Discretized estimator Integral estimator Jump Leave-one-out cross validation Lipschitz continuous Normal distribution Resolution level selection;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fan, Jianqing & Masry, Elias, 1992. "Multivariate regression estimation with errors-in-variables: Asymptotic normality for mixing processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 237-271, November.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Lund, Jesper, 1997. "Estimating continuous-time stochastic volatility models of the short-term interest rate," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 343-377, April.
- Ip, Wai-Cheung & Wong, Heung & Li, Yuan & Xie, Zhongjie, 1999. "Threshold variable selection by wavelets in open-loop threshold autoregressive models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 375-392, May.
- Wong, Heung & Ip, Waicheung & Li, Yuan, 2001. "Detection of jumps by wavelets in a heteroscedastic autoregressive model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 365-372, May.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Hidalgo, Javier, 2000. "Nonparametric inference on structural breaks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 113-144, May.
- Yongmiao Hong & Chihwa Kao, 2004.
"Wavelet-Based Testing for Serial Correlation of Unknown Form in Panel Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1519-1563, 09.
- Yongmiao Hong & Chihwa Kao, 2000. "Wavelet-Based Testing for Serial Correlation of Unknown Form in Panel Models," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 32, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Chu, Chia-Shang James & Stinchcombe, Maxwell & White, Halbert, 1996. "Monitoring Structural Change," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1045-65, September.
- Chen, Gongmeng & Choi, Yoon K. & Zhou, Yong, 2008. "Detections of changes in return by a wavelet smoother with conditional heteroscedastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(2), pages 227-262, April.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Model of Asset Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 363-84, March.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Lee, Jin & Hong, Yongmiao, 2001. "Testing For Serial Correlation Of Unknown Form Using Wavelet Methods," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 386-423, April.
- Duchesne, Pierre, 2006. "On Testing For Serial Correlation With A Wavelet-Based Spectral Density Estimator In Multivariate Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(04), pages 633-676, August.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Saunders, Anthony, 1980. " A Catastrophe Model of Bank Failure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1189-1207, December.
- Berkes, Istv n & Gombay, Edit & Horv th, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2004. "SEQUENTIAL CHANGE-POINT DETECTION IN GARCH(p,q) MODELS," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 1140-1167, December.
- Hong, Yongmiao & Lee, Jin, 2001. "One-Sided Testing For Arch Effects Using Wavelets," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(06), pages 1051-1081, December.
- Park, Cheol-Woo & Kim, Woo-Chul, 2004. "Estimation of a regression function with a sharp change point using boundary wavelets," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 435-448, March.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1982. "Recursive stability analysis of linear regression relationships: An exploratory methodology," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 31-76, May.
- Hall, Peter & Nason, Guy P., 1997. "On choosing a non-integer resolution level when using wavelet methods," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 5-11, May.
- Guo, Yingwen & Zhou Z.F., Sherry, 2011. "Duration Analysis of Interest Rate Spells : Cross-National Study of Interest Rate Policy," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 52(1), pages 1-11, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.