Common breaks in means and variances for panel data
AbstractThis paper establishes the consistency of the estimated common break point in panel data. Consistency is obtainable even when a regime contains a single observation, making it possible to quickly identify the onset of a new regime. We also propose a new framework for developing the limiting distribution for the estimated break point, and show how to construct confidence intervals. The least squares method is used for estimating breaks in means and the quasi-maximum likelihood (QML) method is used to estimate breaks in means and in variances. QML is shown to be more efficient than the least squares even if there is no change in the variances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 157 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Change points Panel data Structural breaks Common breaks;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jushan Bai, 1995.
"Estimating Multiple Breaks One at a Time,"
95-18, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Arellano, Manuel, 2003. "Panel Data Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245291.
- Jushan Bai, 1997. "Estimation Of A Change Point In Multiple Regression Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 551-563, November.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003.
"Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Tom Doan, . "BAIPERRON: RATS procedure to perform Bai-Perron Test for Multiple Structural Changes," Statistical Software Components RTS00013, Boston College Department of Economics.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998. "Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models," Cahiers de recherche 9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Tom Doan, . "MULTIPLEBREAKS: RATS procedure to perform multiple structural change analysis," Statistical Software Components RTS00138, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate examples of Bai-Perron procedure," Statistical Software Components RTZ00008, Boston College Department of Economics.
- De Wachter, Stefan & Tzavalis, Elias, 2005. "Monte Carlo comparison of model and moment selection and classical inference approaches to break detection in panel data models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 91-96, July.
- Hsiao,Cheng, 2003.
"Analysis of Panel Data,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521818551, October.
- De Wachter, Stefan & Tzavalis, Elias, 2012.
"Detection of structural breaks in linear dynamic panel data models,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3020-3034.
- Stefan de Wachter & Elias Tzavalis, 2004. "Detection of Structural Breaks in Linear Dynamic Panel Data Models," Working Papers 505, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Christopher H. Jackson & Linda D. Sharples, 2004. "Models for longitudinal data with censored changepoints," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 53(1), pages 149-162.
- Bai, Jushan & Lumsdaine, Robin L & Stock, James H, 1998.
"Testing for and Dating Common Breaks in Multivariate Time Series,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 395-432, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate Bai, Lumsdaine, Stock common breaks in VAR," Statistical Software Components RTZ00171, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gary B. Gorton & Andrew Metrick & Lei Xie, 2014. "The Flight from Maturity," NBER Working Papers 20027, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kim, Dukpa, 2011. "Estimating a common deterministic time trend break in large panels with cross sectional dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 310-330, October.
- Oka, Tatsushi & Qu, Zhongjun, 2011.
"Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 248-267, June.
- Zhongjun Qu & Tatsushi Oka, 2010. "Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2010-052, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Chihwa Kao & Lorenzo Trapani & Giovanni Urga, 2012. "Testing for Breaks in Cointegrated Panels," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 135, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- YAMAMOTO, Yohei & TANAKA, Shinya, 2013. "Testing for Factor Loading Structural Change under Common Breaks," Discussion Papers 2013-17, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Georges Dionne & Olfa Maalaoui Chun, 2013.
"Default and liquidity regimes in the bond market during the 2002-2012 period,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1160-1195, November.
- Georges Dionne & Olfa Maalaoui Chun, 2013. "Default and Liquidity Regimes in the Bond Market during the 2002-2012 Period," Cahiers de recherche 1322, CIRPEE.
- Karavias, Yiannis & Tzavalis, Elias, 2014. "Testing for unit roots in short panels allowing for a structural break," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 391-407.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.