Nonparametric/semiparametric estimation and testing of econometric models with data dependent smoothing parameters
AbstractWe consider nonparametric/semiparametric estimation and testing of econometric models with data dependent smoothing parameters. Most of the existing works on asymptotic distributions of a nonparametric/semiparametric estimator or a test statistic are based on some deterministic smoothing parameters, while in practice it is important to use data-driven methods to select the smoothing parameters. In this paper we give a simple sufficient condition that can be used to establish the first order asymptotic equivalence of a nonparametric estimator or a test statistic with stochastic smoothing parameters to those using deterministic smoothing parameters. We also allow for general weakly dependent data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 157 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Smoothing parameters Data-driven Cross-validation Asymptotic equivalence;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Qi & Racine, Jeffrey S, 2008. "Nonparametric Estimation of Conditional CDF and Quantile Functions With Mixed Categorical and Continuous Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 423-434.
- Sherman, Robert P., 1994. "U-Processes in the Analysis of a Generalized Semiparametric Regression Estimator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 372-395, June.
- Peter Hall & Jeff Racine & Qi Li, 2004. "Cross-Validation and the Estimation of Conditional Probability Densities," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 1015-1026, December.
- Xiaohong Chen & Xiaotong Shen, 1998. "Sieve Extremum Estimates for Weakly Dependent Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 289-314, March.
- Hsiao, Cheng & Li, Qi & Racine, Jeffrey S., 2007.
"A consistent model specification test with mixed discrete and continuous data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 802-826, October.
- Cheng Hsiao & Qi Li & Jeff Racine, 2006. "A Consistent Model Specification Test with Mixed Discrete and Continuous Data," IEPR Working Papers 06.47, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Peter Hall & Qi Li & Jeffrey S. Racine, 2007. "Nonparametric Estimation of Regression Functions in the Presence of Irrelevant Regressors," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(4), pages 784-789, November.
- John Xu Zheng, 1996. "A consistent test of functional form via nonparametric estimation techniques," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 263-289, December.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1997. "Convergence rates and asymptotic normality for series estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 147-168, July.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 1999. "Consistent hypothesis testing in semiparametric and nonparametric models for econometric time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 373-401, August.
- Li, Qi, 1999. "Consistent model specification tests for time series econometric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 101-147, September.
- Cai, Zongwu, 2002. "Regression Quantiles For Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 169-192, February.
- Fan, Yanqin & Li, Qi, 1996. "Consistent Model Specification Tests: Omitted Variables and Semiparametric Functional Forms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 865-90, July.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "A Smoothed Maximum Score Estimator for the Binary Response Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 505-31, May.
- Lavergne, Pascal & Vuong, Quang, 2000.
"Nonparametric Significance Testing,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 576-601, August.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Hidehiko Ichimura, . "Asymptotic Distribution of Non-Parametric and Semi-Parametric Estimators with Data Dependent Smoothing Parameters," Working Papers _001, University of California at Berkeley, Econometrics Laboratory Software Archive.
- Xu, Ke-Li, 2013. "Powerful tests for structural changes in volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 126-142.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano & David Jacho-Chavez & Arthur Lewbel, 2010.
"Uniform Convergence of Weighted Sums of Non- and Semi-parametric Residuals for Estimation and Testing,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
756, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 31 Jan 2012.
- Escanciano, Juan Carlos & Jacho-Chávez, David T. & Lewbel, Arthur, 2014. "Uniform convergence of weighted sums of non and semiparametric residuals for estimation and testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 178(P3), pages 426-443.
- Liang, Zhongwen & Li, Qi, 2012. "Functional coefficient regression models with time trend," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 15-31.
- Lin, Zhongjian & Li, Qi & Sun, Yiguo, 2014. "A consistent nonparametric test of parametric regression functional form in fixed effects panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 178(P1), pages 167-179.
- Rafael Weißbach & Wladislaw Poniatowski & Walter Krämer, 2013. "Nearest neighbor hazard estimation with left-truncated duration data," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 97(1), pages 33-47, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.