Long memory and long run variation
AbstractA commonly used defining property of long memory time series is the power law decay of the autocovariance function. Some alternative methods of deriving this property are considered, working from the alternate definition in terms of a fractional pole in the spectrum at the origin. The methods considered involve the use of (i) Fourier transforms of generalized functions, (ii) asymptotic expansions of Fourier integrals with singularities, (iii) direct evaluation using hypergeometric function algebra, and (iv) conversion to a simple gamma integral. The paper is largely pedagogical but some novel methods and results involving complete asymptotic series representations are presented. The formulae are useful in many ways, including the calculation of long run variation matrices for multivariate time series with long memory and the econometric estimation of such models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 151 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Asymptotic expansion Autocovariance function Fractional pole Fourier integral Generalized function Long memory Long range dependence Singularity;
Other versions of this item:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lieberman, Offer & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2008.
"A complete asymptotic series for the autocovariance function of a long memory process,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 99-103, November.
- Offer Lieberman & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2006. "A Complete Asymptotic Series for the Autocovariance Function of a Long Memory Process," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1586, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Robinson, P.M., 2008. "Diagnostic testing for cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 206-225, March.
- Peter M Robinson, 2007. "Multiple Local Whittle Estimation in StationarySystems," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2007/525, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Shimotsu, Katsumi, 2007.
"Gaussian semiparametric estimation of multivariate fractionally integrated processes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 277-310, April.
- Katsumi Shimotsu, 2003. "Gaussian semiparametric estimation of multivariate fractionally integrated processes," Economics Discussion Papers 571, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Katsumi Shimotsu, 2006. "Gaussian Semiparametric Estimation of Multivariate Fractionally Integrated Processes," Working Papers 1062, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Kim, Chang Sik, 2007.
"Long-Run Covariance Matrices For Fractionally Integrated Processes,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(06), pages 1233-1247, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Chang Sik Kim, 2007. "Long Run Covariance Matrices for Fractionally Integrated Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1611, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1980. "Long memory relationships and the aggregation of dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 227-238, October.
- Peter Robinson, 2007. "Diagnostic Testing For Cointegration," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2007/522, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.