Exact computation of max weighted score estimators
AbstractWe show that exact computation of a family of 'max weighted score' estimators, including Manski's max score estimator, can be achieved efficiently by reformulating them as mixed integer programs (MIP) with disjunctive constraints. The advantage of our MIP formulation is that estimates are exact and can be computed using widely available solvers in reasonable time. In a classic work-trip mode choice application, our method delivers exact estimates that lead to a different economic interpretation of the data than previous heuristic estimates. In a small Monte Carlo study we find that our approach is computationally efficient for usual estimation problem sizes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 146 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Maximum score Mixed integer programming Estimator computation Work-trip mode choice;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie, 2005.
"Monte Carlo Tests with Nuisance Parameters: A General Approach to Finite-Sample Inference and Nonstandard Asymptotics,"
Cahiers de recherche
03-2005, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie, 2006. "Monte Carlo tests with nuisance parameters: A general approach to finite-sample inference and nonstandard asymptotics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 443-477, August.
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 2005. "Monte Carlo tests with nuisance parameters: a general approach to finite-sample inference and non-standard asymptotics," CIRANO Working Papers 2005s-02, CIRANO.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie, 2005. "Monte Carlo Tests with Nuisance Parameters: A General Approach to Finite-Sample Inference and Nonstandard Asymptotics," Cahiers de recherche 2005-03, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gozalo, Pedro & Linton, Oliver, 2000. "Local nonlinear least squares: Using parametric information in nonparametric regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 63-106, November.
- Thomas J. Kniesner & Anthony T. LoSasso, 2001. "Intergenerational Labor Market and Welfare Consequences of Poor Health," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 37, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Pinkse, C. A. P., 1993. "On the computation of semiparametric estimates in limited dependent variable models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 185-205, July.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 2004. "Semiparametric models," Papers 2004,17, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
- Spyros Skouras, 1998.
"Financial Returns and Efficiency as seen by an Artificial Technical Analyst,"
9808001, EconWPA, revised 24 Aug 1998.
- Skouras, Spyros, 2001. "Financial returns and efficiency as seen by an artificial technical analyst," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 213-244, January.
- Timothy J. Bartik & J.S. Butler & Jin-Tan Liu, .
"Maximum Score Estimates of the Determinants of Residential Mobility: Implications for the Value of Residential Attachment and Neighborhood Amenities,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
tjb1992jue, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Bartik, Timothy J. & Butler, J. S. & Liu, Jin-Tan, 1992. "Maximum score estimates of the determinants of residential mobility: Implications for the value of residential attachment and neighborhood amenities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 233-256, September.
- Timothy J. Bartik & J.S. Butler & Jin Tan Liu, 1990. "Maximum Score Estimates of the Determinants of Residential Mobility: Implications for the Value of Residential Attachment and Neighborhood Amenities," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 90-01, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Das, Sanghamitra, 1991. "A semiparametric structural analysis of the idling of cement kilns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 235-256, December.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of a work-trip mode choice model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 49-70, July.
- Manski, Charles F. & Thompson, T. Scott, 1986. "Operational characteristics of maximum score estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 85-108, June.
- Jason Abrevaya & Jian Huang, 2005. "On the Bootstrap of the Maximum Score Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1175-1204, 07.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1996.
"A Stopping Rule for the Computation of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1120, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1997. "A Stopping Rule for the Computation of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 913-932, July.
- Jouneau-Sion, Frederic & Torres, Olivier, 2006. "MMC techniques for limited dependent variables models: Implementation by the branch-and-bound algorithm," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 479-512, August.
- Chuan-Zhong Li, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of the Binary Choice Model for Contingent Valuation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 72(4), pages 462-473.
- Manski, Charles F., 1975. "Maximum score estimation of the stochastic utility model of choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-228, August.
- McDonald, James B., 1996. "An application and comparison of some flexible parametric and semi-parametric qualitative response models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 145-152, November.
- D. F. Benoit & D. Van Den Poel, 2010. "Binary quantile regression: A Bayesian approach based on the asymmetric Laplace density," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 10/662, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Le-Yu Chen & Sokbae 'Simon' Lee & Myung Jae Sung, 2013. "Maximum score estimation of preference parameters for a binary choice model under uncertainty," CeMMAP working papers CWP14/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Dries Benoit & Rahim Alhamzawi & Keming Yu, 2013. "Bayesian lasso binary quantile regression," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 28(6), pages 2861-2873, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.