A note on the determinants of labour share movements
AbstractAdjustment costs cause movements of the labour share if the economy experiences demand or wage shocks. With linear adjustment costs and Cobb-Douglas technology, these movements are independent of the size of these shocks and depend only on the size of the adjustment costs. -- Anpassungskosten auf dem Arbeitsmarkt verursachen Schwankungen der Lohnquote, wenn eine Volkswirtschaft Lohn- oder Nachfrageschocks ausgesetzt ist. FÃ¼r den Fall einer Cobb-Douglas Produktionstechnologie wird gezeigt, dass die induzierten Schwankungen nicht von der GrÃ¶Ãe der Lohn- oder Nachfrageschocks abhÃ¤ngen, sondern nur von der HÃ¶he der Anpassungskosten.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 81 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Other versions of this item:
- Kessing, Sebastian, 2002. "A note on the determinants of labour share movements," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance FS IV 02-30, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- D33 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Factor Income Distribution
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bentolila, Samuel & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1998.
"Explaining Movements in the Labour Share,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1958, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Samuel Bentolila & Gilles Saint Paul, 1999. "Explaining movements in the labor share," Economics Working Papers 374, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bentollia, S. & Saint-Paul, G., 1999. "Explaining Movements in the Labor Share," Papers 9905, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Oliver J. Blanchard, 1997. "The Medium Run," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(2), pages 89-158.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Job security, employment and wages," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 851-879, June.
- Blanchard, Olivier, 1998.
"Revisiting European Unemployment : Unemployment, Capital Accumulation and Factor Prices,"
Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number GL28.
- Olivier Blanchard, 1998. "Revisiting European Unemployment: Unemployment, Capital Accumulation, and Factor Prices," NBER Working Papers 6566, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shigeru Wakita, 2006. "The Lost Decade in the Japanese Labor Market : Labor's share and Okun's Law," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 2(1), pages 77-96, January.
- Lo Prete, Anna, 2013.
"Sharing risk within and across countries: the role of labor market institutions,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 449-461.
- Lo Prete, Anna, 2013. "Sharing Risk Within and Across Countries: The Role of Labor Market Institutions," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201328, University of Turin.
- repec:pra:mprapa:43050 is not listed on IDEAS
- Damiani, Mirella & Pompei, Fabrizio & Ricci, Andrea, 2012.
"Labour share and employment protection in European economies,"
43058, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mirella Damiani & Fabrizio Pompei & Andrea Ricci, 2012. "Labour Shares and Employment Protection in European Economies," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 111/2012, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Andrew Young, 2004. "Labor's Share Fluctuations, Biased Technical Change, and the Business Cycle," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(4), pages 916-931, October.
- Shigeru Wakita, 2006. "The Lost Decade in the Japanese Labor Market : LaborÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s share and OkunÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Law," Labor Economics Working Papers 22317, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Vermeulen, Philip, 2007. "Can adjustment costs explain the variability and counter-cyclicality of the labour share at the firm and aggregate level?," Working Paper Series 0772, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.