A note on wage differentials, fixed-wages and adverse selection
AbstractUsing a substitution property of workerâs types (productivity and time preference), we propose an explanation for both fixed-wages and wage differentials. Fixed-wages result in bunching at the optimum. Equally productive workers with different time preference accept different wages.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 77 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Other versions of this item:
- Carlier, Guillaume & Gaumont, Damien, 2002. "A note on wage differentials, fixed-wages and adverse selection," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6246, Paris Dauphine University.
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Azariadis, Costas, 1983. "Employment with Asymmetric Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(3), pages 157-72, Supplemen.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Philippe Chone, 1998. "Ironing, Sweeping, and Multidimensional Screening," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 783-826, July.
- Carlier, Guillaume & Gaumont, Damien, 2000. "Labor Contracts With Two-Dimensional Adverse Selection," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6245, Paris Dauphine University.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Carlier G. & Gaumont D., 2005.
"Fixed-wages, wage differentials and worker heterogeneities,"
Working Papers ERMES
0514, ERMES, University Paris 2.
- Guillaume Carlier & Damien Gaumont, 2008. "Fixed-Wages, Wage Differentials And Worker Heterogeneities," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 320-333, December.
- Carlier, Guillaume & Gaumont, Damien, 2008. "Fixed-Wages, Wage Differentials and Workers Heterogeneities," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12856, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.