Sato's insight on the relationship between the Frisch 'parameter' and the average elasticity of substitution
AbstractThis short note demonstrates that Sato's 1972 insight concerning the equivalence between Frisch's 'money flexibility' parameter and the average elasticity of substitution among commodities needs to be modified if it is to be applied to non-homothetic utility functions. Fortunately the modification is easily implemented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 40 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Other versions of this item:
- Alan A. Powell, 1992. "Sato's Insight on the Relationship between the Frisch 'Parameter' and the Average Elasticity of Substitution," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-99, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sato, Kazuo, 1972. "Additive Utility Functions with Double-Log Consumer Demand Functions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(1), pages 102-24, Jan.-Feb..
- Clements, Kenneth W., 2008.
"Price elasticities of demand are minus one-half,"
Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 490-493, June.
- Alan A. Powell & Keith R. McLaren & K.R. Pearson & Maureen Rimmer, 2002.
"Cobb-Douglas Utility - Eventually!,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
12/02, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Alan A. Powell & Keith R. McLaren & K.R. Pearson & Maureen T.Rimmer, 2002. "Cobb-Douglas Utility - Eventually!," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers ip-80, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.