Financial shocks and trade finance: Evidence from Korea
AbstractUsing two novel measures of bank-intermediated trade finance in Korea, this paper empirically assesses the effects of financial shocks on the availability of trade finance and finds that these effects are generally negative and last for at least three months, implying significant delays and losses for traders.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 120 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Trade finance; Financial crisis; Foreign trade loan; Documentary bill;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Love, Inessa & Preve, Lorenzo A. & Sarria-Allende, Virginia, 2007.
"Trade credit and bank credit: Evidence from recent financial crises,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 453-469, February.
- Love, Inessa & Preve, Lorenzo A. & Sarria-Allende, Virginia, 2005. "Trade credit and bank credit : evidence from recent financial crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3716, The World Bank.
- Amiti, Mary & Weinstein, David E., 2009.
"Exports and Financial Shocks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7590, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chauffour, Jean-Pierre & Farole, Thomas, 2009. "Trade finance in crisis : market adjustment or market failure ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5003, The World Bank.
- Bijapur, Mohan, 2010. "Does monetary policy lose effectiveness during a credit crunch?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 42-44, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.