Structural estimation of continuous choice models: Evaluating the EGM and MPEC
AbstractIn this paper, I evaluate the performance of two recently proposed approaches to solving and estimating structural models: The Endogenous Grid Method (EGM) and Mathematical Programming with Equilibrium Constraints (MPEC). Monte Carlo simulations confirm that both the EGM and MPEC have advantages relative to standard methods. The EGM proved particularly robust, fast and straightforward to implement. Approaches trying to avoid solving the model numerically, therefore, seem to be dominated by these approaches.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 119 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Structural estimation; Continuous choice; Endogenous Grid Method (EGM); Mathematical Programming with Equilibrium Constraints (MPEC);
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sule Alan & Orazio Attanasio & Martin Browning, 2009.
"Estimating Euler equations with noisy data: two exact GMM estimators,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2), pages 309-324, 03.
- Sule Alan & Orazio Attanasio & Martin Browning, 2005. "Estimating Euler Equations with Noisy Data: Two Exact GMM Estimators," CAM Working Papers 2005-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Martin Browning & Sule Alan, 2006. "Estimating Euler Equations with Noisy Data: Two Exact GMM Estimators," Economics Series Working Papers 283, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Rust, John, 1987. "Optimal Replacement of GMC Bus Engines: An Empirical Model of Harold Zurcher," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 999-1033, September.
- Carroll, Christopher D., 2005.
"The method of endogenous gridpoints for solving dynamic stochastic optimization problems,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2005/18, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Carroll, Christopher D., 2006. "The method of endogenous gridpoints for solving dynamic stochastic optimization problems," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 91(3), pages 312-320, June.
- Christopher D. Carroll, 2005. "The Method of Endogenous Gridpoints for Solving Dynamic Stochastic Optimization Problems," NBER Technical Working Papers 0309, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher Carroll, 2005. "The Method of Endogenous Gridpoints for Solving Dynamic Stochastic Optimization Problems," Economics Working Paper Archive 520, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Deaton, Angus, 1991.
"Saving and Liquidity Constraints,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1221-48, September.
- Che-Lin Su & Kenneth L. Judd, 2008.
"Constrainted Optimization Approaches to Estimation of Structural Models,"
1460, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Che‐Lin Su & Kenneth L. Judd, 2012. "Constrained Optimization Approaches to Estimation of Structural Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(5), pages 2213-2230, 09.
- John Rust & Bertel Schjerning & Fedor Iskhakov, 2012. "A generalized endogenous grid method for discrete-continuous choice," 2012 Meeting Papers 1162, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Giulio Fella, 2011.
"A generalized endogenous grid method for non-concave problems,"
2011 Meeting Papers
1232, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Giulio Fella, 2011. "A Generalized Endogenous Grid Method for Non-concave Problems," Working Papers 677, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Sule Alan & Martin Browning, 2010. "Estimating Intertemporal Allocation Parameters using Synthetic Residual Estimation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1231-1261.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.