Do financial crises erode potential output? Evidence from OECD inflation responses
AbstractThis paper presents evidence from a panel investigation of OECD countries that inflationary pressures tend to be stronger during recovery from financial crises compared to recovery from non-crisis economic downturns, indicating impairment in productive potential.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 117 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Financial crisis; Potential output; Inflation; Credit crunch;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bijapur, Mohan, 2010. "Does monetary policy lose effectiveness during a credit crunch?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 42-44, January.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Marion Kohler & Christian Upper, 2009.
"Financial crises and economic activity,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 89-135.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Marion Kohler & Christian Upper, 2009. "Financial Crises and Economic Activity," NBER Working Papers 15379, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G & Kohler, Marion & Upper, Christian, 2009. "Financial Crises and Economic Activity," CEPR Discussion Papers 7495, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & Stefan Krause, 2006.
"Has Monetary Policy become more Efficient? a Cross-Country Analysis,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(511), pages 408-433, 04.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & Stefan Krause, 2004. "Has Monetary Policy Become More Efficient? A Cross Country Analysis," NBER Working Papers 10973, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1985.
"Credit Rationing and Effective Supply Failures,"
NBER Working Papers
1619, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta Chaman Saxena, 2007.
"Growth dynamics: the myth of economic recovery,"
BIS Working Papers
226, Bank for International Settlements.
- Furceri, Davide & Mourougane, Annabelle, 2012.
"The effect of financial crises on potential output: New empirical evidence from OECD countries,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 822-832.
- Davide Furceri & Annabelle Mourougane, 2009. "The Effect of Financial Crises on Potential Output: New Empirical Evidence from OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 699, OECD Publishing.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009.
"The Aftermath of Financial Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7209, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2009. "The Aftermath of Financial Crises," Scholarly Articles 11129155, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Claudio E. V. Borio & Andrew Filardo, 2007. "Globalisation and inflation: New cross-country evidence on the global determinants of domestic inflation," BIS Working Papers 227, Bank for International Settlements.
- repec:nsr:niesrd:358 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:nsr:niesrd:357 is not listed on IDEAS
- Benati, Luca, 2012. "Estimating the financial crisis’ impact on potential output," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 113-119.
- Luc Laeven & Fabian Valencia, 2010. "Resolution of Banking Crises," IMF Working Papers 10/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Cara S. Lown, 1991. "The Credit Crunch," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(2), pages 205-248.
- Bijapur, Mohan, 2013. "Are Credit Shocks Supply or Demand Shocks?," MPRA Paper 49005, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bijapur, Mohan & Croci, Manuela & Zaidi, Rida, 2012. "Do Asset Regulations Impede Portfolio Diversification? Evidence from European Life Insurance Funds," MPRA Paper 54265, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.