A simple nonstationary-volatility robust panel unit root test
AbstractWe propose an IV panel unit root test robust to nonstationary error volatility. Its finite-sample performance is convincing even for many units and strong cross-correlation. An application to GDP prices illustrates the inferential impact of nonstationary volatility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 117 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
I(1) series; Time-varying volatility; Cross-dependent panel; Nonlinear IV;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jönsson, Kristian, 2003.
"Cross-sectional dependency and size distortion in a small-sample homogeneous panel-data unit root test,"
2003:10, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Kristian Jönsson, 2005. "Cross-sectional Dependency and Size Distortion in a Small-sample Homogeneous Panel Data Unit Root Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(3), pages 369-392, 06.
- Ledoit, Olivier & Wolf, Michael, 2004. "A well-conditioned estimator for large-dimensional covariance matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 365-411, February.
- Hamori, Shigeyuki & Tokihisa, Akira, 1997. "Testing for a unit root in the presence of a variance shift1," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 245-253, December.
- Moon, H.R.Hyungsik Roger & Perron, Benoit, 2004.
"Testing for a unit root in panels with dynamic factors,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 81-126, September.
- MOON, Hyungsik Roger & PERRON, Benoit., 2002. "Testing for a Unit Root in Panels with Dynamic Factors," Cahiers de recherche 2002-18, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007.
"A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003. "A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jörg Breitung & Samarjit Das, 2005.
"Panel unit root tests under cross-sectional dependence,"
Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 59(4), pages 414-433.
- Samarjit Das & Joerg Breitung, 2004. "Panel Unit Root Tests under Cross- sectional Dependence," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 55, Econometric Society.
- Shin, Dong Wan & Kang, Seungho, 2006. "An instrumental variable approach for panel unit root tests under cross-sectional dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 215-234, September.
- Hanck, Christoph, 2008. "The Error-in-Rejection Probability of meta-analytic panel tests," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 27-30, October.
- So, Beong Soo & Shin, Dong Wan, 1999. "Cauchy Estimators For Autoregressive Processes With Applications To Unit Root Tests And Confidence Intervals," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(02), pages 165-176, April.
- Matei Demetrescu & Uwe Hassler & Adina-Ioana Tarcolea, 2006. "Combining Significance of Correlated Statistics with Application to Panel Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(5), pages 647-663, October.
- Olivier Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2013. "Spectrum estimation: a unified framework for covariance matrix estimation and PCA in large dimensions," ECON - Working Papers 105, Department of Economics - University of Zurich, revised Jul 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.