Price inflation and stock returns
AbstractThis letter demonstrates that price inflation and stock returns display differing relationships depending on the measure of inflation used. The regularity that price inflation and stock returns are negatively related in post-World War II depends on the model specification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 116 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Inflation; Equity premium; Dividend yield;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feldstein, Martin, 1980.
"Inflation and the Stock Market,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 839-47, December.
- Geske, Robert & Roll, Richard, 1983. " The Fiscal and Monetary Linkage between Stock Returns and Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Vuolteenaho, Tuomo & Campbell, John, 2004.
"Inflation Illusion and Stock Prices,"
3196090, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Lee, Bong Soo, 2010. "Stock returns and inflation revisited: An evaluation of the inflation illusion hypothesis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1257-1273, June.
- Randolph B. Cohen & Christopher Polk & Tuomo Vuolteenaho, 2005.
"Money Illusion in the Stock Market: The Modigliani-Cohn Hypothesis,"
NBER Working Papers
11018, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randolph B. Cohen & Christopher Polk & Tuomo Vuolteenaho, 2005. "Money Illusion in the Stock Market: The Modigliani-Cohn Hypothesis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 120(2), pages 639-668, May.
- Boskin, Michael J, et al, 1997. "The CPI Commission: Findings and Recommendations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 78-83, May.
- Brandt, Michael W. & Wang, Kevin Q., 2003. "Time-varying risk aversion and unexpected inflation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1457-1498, October.
- Lee, Bong-Soo, 2003. " Asset Returns and Inflation in Response to Supply, Monetary, and Fiscal Disturbances," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 207-31, November.
- Michael Boskin, 2005. "Causes and Consequences of Bias in the Consumer Price Index as a Measure of the Cost of Living," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Martin Feldstein, 1983.
"Inflation, Tax Rules, and the Stock Market,"
in: Inflation, Tax Rules, and Capital Formation, pages 199-220
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael J. Boskin, 1998. "Consumer Prices, the Consumer Price Index, and the Cost of Living," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 3-26, Winter.
- Hess, Patrick J & Lee, Bong-Soo, 1999. "Stock Returns and Inflation with Supply and Demand Disturbances," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(5), pages 1203-18.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1983. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 471-72, June.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1981. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 545-65, September.
- Acker, Daniella & Duck, Nigel W., 2013. "Inflation illusion and the US dividend yield: Some further evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 235-254.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.