Public banks and financial stability
AbstractWeak institutions are shown to create scope for public banks to play a positive role, even if such banks are less efficient than private banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 116 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Governance; Regulation; Productivity of capital;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- K42 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Illegal Behavior and the Enforcement of Law
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svetlana Andrianova & Panicos Demetriades & Anja Shortland, 2012.
"Government Ownership of Banks, Institutions and Economic Growth,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 79(315), pages 449-469, 07.
- Svetlana Andrianova & Panicos Demetriades & Anja Shortland, 2010. "Government Ownership of Banks, Institutions and Economic Growth," Discussion Papers in Economics 11/01, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Oct 2010.
- Ang, James B., 2011. "Financial development, liberalization and technological deepening," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(5), pages 688-701, June.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2004.
"Bank Ownership and Lending Behavior,"
6686, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2004. "Bank Ownership and Lending Behavior," Research Department Publications 4385, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2006. "Bank Ownership and Lending Behavior," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 369, Central Bank of Chile.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo, 2006. "Bank Ownership and Lending Behavior," POLIS Working Papers 61, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopezde-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000.
"Government Ownership of Banks,"
NBER Working Papers
7620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001. "Government Ownership of Banks," Working Paper Series rwp01-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-deSilanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1890, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005.
"Has Financial Development Made the World Riskier?,"
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005. "Has financial development made the world riskier?," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Aug, pages 313-369.
- Tobias Körner & Isabel Schnabel, 2010.
"Public Ownership of Banks and Economic Growth – The Role of Heterogeneity,"
Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods
2010_41, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Körner, Tobias & Schnabel, Isabel, 2010. "Public Ownership of Banks and Economic Growth - The Role of Heterogeneity," CEPR Discussion Papers 8138, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karas, Alexei & Schoors , Koen & Weill, Laurent, 2008.
"Are private banks more efficient than public banks? Evidence from Russia,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
3/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- A. Karas & K. Schoors & L. Weill, 2008. "Are private banks more efficient than public banks? Evidence from Russia," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 08/519, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Alexei Karas & Koen Schoors & Laurent Weill, 2008. "Are private banks more efficient than public banks ? Evidence from Russia," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2008-15, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Edward Kane, 2010.
"The Importance of Monitoring and Mitigating the Safety-Net Consequences of Regulation-Induced Innovation,"
Review of Social Economy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 68(2), pages 145-161.
- Edward J. Kane, 2009. "The Importance of Monitoring and Mitigating the Safety-Net Consequences of Regulation-Induced Innovation," NFI Policy Briefs 2009-PB-08C, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute, revised Aug 2010.
- Svetlana Andrianova & Panicos Demetriades & Anja Shortland, 2002.
"Government Ownership of Banks, Institutions, and Financial Development,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
02/13, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Aug 2006.
- Andrianova, Svetlana & Demetriades, Panicos & Shortland, Anja, 2008. "Government ownership of banks, institutions, and financial development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 218-252, February.
- Svetlana Andrianova & Panicos Demetriades & Anja Shortland, 2006. "Government Ownership of Banks, Institutions, and Financial Development," WEF Working Papers 0011, ESRC World Economy and Finance Research Programme, Birkbeck, University of London.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, December.
- Altunbas, Yener & Evans, Lynne & Molyneux, Philip, 2001. "Bank Ownership and Efficiency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 926-54, November.
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyat & Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2007. "A reappraisal of State-Owned Banks," JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA, LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Gur, Nurullah, 2012. "Government ownership of banks, job creation opportunities and employment growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 509-512.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.