Binary misclassification and identification in regression models
AbstractWe study a regression model with a binary explanatory variable that is subject to misclassification errors. The regression coefficient is then only partially identified. We derive several results that relate different assumptions about the misclassification probabilities and the conditional variances to the size of the identified set.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 115 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Misclassification error; Binary regressors; Partial identification; Homoscedasticity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C18 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Methodolical Issues: General
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arthur Lewbel, 2004.
"Estimation of Average Treatment Effects With Misclassification,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
210, Econometric Society.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2007. "Estimation of Average Treatment Effects with Misclassification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 537-551, 03.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2003. "Estimation of Average Treatment Effects With Misclassification," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 556, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 04 Sep 2006.
- Kreider, Brent & Pepper, John V., 2007.
"Disability and Employment: Reevaluating the Evidence in Light of Reporting Errors,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 432-441, June.
- Kreider, Brent & Pepper, John V., 2003. "Disability and Employment: Reevaluating the Evidence in Light of Reporting Errors," Staff General Research Papers 10229, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Xiaohong Chen & Yingyao Hu & Arthur Lewbel, 2007.
"Nonparametric Identification of Regression Models Containing a Misclassified Dichotomous Regressor Without Instruments,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
675, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Hu, Yingyao & Lewbel, Arthur, 2008. "Nonparametric identification of regression models containing a misclassified dichotomous regressor without instruments," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 381-384, September.
- Xiaohong Chen & Yingyao Hu & Arthur Lewbel, 2007. "Nonparametric identification of regression models containing a misclassified dichotomous regressor without instruments," CeMMAP working papers CWP17/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Hu, Yingyao & Lewbel, Arthur, 2008. "A note on the closed-form identification of regression models with a mismeasured binary regressor," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(12), pages 1473-1479, September.
- Manski, C.F., 1989.
"Nonparametric Bounds On Treatment Effects,"
8909, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Deng, Ping & Hu, Yingyao, 2009. "Bounding the effect of a dichotomous regressor with arbitrary measurement errors," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 256-260, December.
- Klepper, Steven, 1988. "Bounding the effects of measurement error in regressions involving dichotomous variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 343-359, March.
- Aprajit Mahajan, 2006. "Identification and Estimation of Regression Models with Misclassification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 631-665, 05.
- Bollinger, Christopher R., 1996. "Bounding mean regressions when a binary regressor is mismeasured," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 387-399, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.