A structural model of the fixed time costs of market work
AbstractWe link ATUS 2003-04 to March CPS data and examine market work's effects on non-market activity. In a structural model fixed time costs of work generate a utility-equivalent of 8% of income to be overcome before working becomes optimizing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 104 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Time use Structural estimation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cogan, John F, 1981. "Fixed Costs and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 945-63, June.
- Jeff E. Biddle & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1989.
"Sleep and the Allocation of Time,"
NBER Working Papers
2988, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kooreman, Peter & Kapteyn, Arie, 1987.
"A Disaggregated Analysis of the Allocation of Time within the Household,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 223-49, April.
- Kooreman, P. & Kapteyn, A.J., 1984. "A disaggregated analysis of the allocation of time within the household," Research Memorandum 153, Tilburg University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Kooreman, P. & Kapteyn, A.J., 1987. "A disaggregrated analysis of the allocation of time within the household," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-364357, Tilburg University.
- Richard Blundell & Thomas MaCurdy, 1998.
"Labour supply: a review of alternative approaches,"
IFS Working Papers
W98/18, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1980. "Home Production-A Forgotten Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(3), pages 408-16, August.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Stephen Donald, 2007. "The Time and Timing Costs of Market Work," NBER Working Papers 13127, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Harley Frazis & Jay Stewart, 2005. "Data Watch: The American Time Use Survey," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 221-232, Winter.
- Mark Aguiar & Erik Hurst, 2006.
"Measuring trends in leisure: the allocation of time over five decades,"
06-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Mark Aguiar & Erik Hurst, 2007. "Measuring Trends in Leisure: The Allocation of Time over Five Decades," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 122(3), pages 969-1006, 08.
- Mark Aguiar & Erik Hurst, 2006. "Measuring Trends in Leisure: The Allocation of Time Over Five Decades," NBER Working Papers 12082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricia Apps & Jan Kabátek & Ray Rees & Arthur van Soest, 2012. "Labor Supply Heterogeneity and Demand for Child Care of Mothers with Young Children," CEPR Discussion Papers 677, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Roff, Jennifer & Lugo-Gil, Julieta, 2012. "A model of child support and the underground economy," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 668-681.
- Randon, Emanuela & Simmons, Peter, 2010. "Base consumption levels and fixed costs," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 222-224, August.
- Robert A. Pollak, 2013. "Allocating Household Time: When Does Efficiency Imply Specialization?," NBER Working Papers 19178, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Apps, Patricia & Kabátek, Jan & Rees, Ray & van Soest, Arthur, 2012. "Labor Supply Heterogeneity and Demand for Child Care of Mothers with Young Children," IZA Discussion Papers 7007, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Phaneuf, Daniel J., 2011. "Can consumption of convenience products reveal the opportunity cost of time?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 92-95, October.
- Elena Capatina, 2012. "Life Cycle Effects of Health Risk," Working Papers 201216, ARC Centre of Excellence in Population Ageing Research (CEPAR), Australian School of Business, University of New South Wales.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.