Does foreign aid improve governance?
AbstractThis paper analyses the impact of aid flows on governance. Using an instrumental variable approach and a large country sample, we find that aid has a negative rather than a positive influence on governance. This outcome is robust to various model specifications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 104 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Official development assistance Governance;
Other versions of this item:
- Busse, Matthias & Groening, Steffen, 2010. "Does Foreign Aid Improve Governance?," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010 6, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O43 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Institutions and Growth
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2007. "Does Aid Affect Governance?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 322-327, May.
- Rajan, Raghuram G. & Zingales, Luigi, 2003. "The great reversals: the politics of financial development in the twentieth century," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 5-50, July.
- Brautigam, Deborah A & Knack, Stephen, 2004. "Foreign Aid, Institutions, and Governance in Sub-Saharan Africa," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(2), pages 255-85, January.
- Ansgar Belke & Ingo Bordon & Inna Melnykovska & Rainer Schweickert, 2009. "Prospective Membership and Institutional Change in Transition Countries," Kiel Working Papers 1562, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- David Fielding, 2011. "The Dynamics of Aid and Political Rights," Working Papers 1102, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2011.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Öhler, Hannes, 2010.
"Throwing foreign aid at HIV/AIDS in developing countries: Missing the target?,"
Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers
111, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Öhler, Hannes, 2011. "Throwing Foreign Aid at HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries: Missing the Target?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1704-1723.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler, 2010. "Throwing Foreign Aid at HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries: Missing the Target?," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 42, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler, 2010. "Throwing Foreign Aid at HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries: Missing the Target?," Kiel Working Papers 1642, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Unbreen Qayyum, 2013. "Institutional Quality, Conflict and Aid Dependency," PIDE-Working Papers 2013:94, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Ansgar Belke & Ingo Bordon & Inna Melnykovska & Rainer Schweickert, 2009.
"Prospective NATO or EU Membership and Institutional Change in Transition Countries,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
915, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Rainer Schweickert & Inna Melnykovska & Ansgar Belke & Ingo Bordon, 2011. "Prospective NATO or EU membership and institutional change in transition countries," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 19(4), pages 667-692, October.
- Ansgar Belke & Ingo Bordon & Inna Melnykovska & Rainer Schweickert, 2009. "Prospective NATO or EU Membership and Institutional Change in Transition Countries," Ruhr Economic Papers 0131, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Belke, Ansgar & Bordon, Ingo & Melnykovska, Inna & Schweickert, Rainer, 2009. "Prospective NATO or EU Membership and Institutional Change in Transition Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 4483, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yener Altunbas & John Thornton, 2010. "Does Paying Taxes Improve the Quality of Governance? Cross-Country Evidence," Working Papers 10006, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Cristina Boţa-Avram, 2013. "The Interplay Between Governance and Global Competitiveness: Evidence from a Cross-Country Survey," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 381-388, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.