Temporal aggregation, cointegration and causality inference
AbstractTemporal aggregation creates contemporaneous correlations, alters dynamic links and may distort causality inference. Since cointegration is invariant to temporal aggregation and implies Granger causality this paper presents a sign rule for causal inference and contemporaneous conditioning in regression models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 101 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Causality in levels Weak exogeneity Adjustment coefficient Sign rule Contemporaneous conditioning;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, September.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano, 1999. "Some Consequences of Temporal Aggregation in Empirical Analysis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(1), pages 129-36, January.
- Rajaguru, Gulasekaran, 2004.
"Impact of systematic sampling on causality in the presence of unit roots,"
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 127-132, July.
- Rajaguru GULASEKARAN, 2002. "Impact of Systematic Sampling on Causality in the presence of Unit Roots," Departmental Working Papers wp0210, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Mosconi, Rocco & Giannini, Carlo, 1992. "Non-causality in Cointegrated Systems: Representation Estimation and Testing," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 399-417, August.
- Mamingi, Nlandu, 1996. "Aggregation over time, error correction models and Granger causality: A Monte Carlo investigation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 7-14, July.
- Grayham E. Mizon & David F. Hendry, 1998. "Exogeneity, causality, and co-breaking in economic policy analysis of a small econometric model of money in the UK," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 267-294.
- Hendry, David F., 1995. "Dynamic Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283164, September.
- Ananda Jayawickrama & Tilak Abeysinghe, 2013. "The experience of some OECD economies on tax smoothing," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(16), pages 2305-2313, June.
- Gebhard Kirchgässner & Jürgen Wolters, 2009.
"The Role of Monetary Aggregates in the Policy Analysis of the Swiss National Bank,"
University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2009
2009-30, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Gebhard Kirchgässner & Jürgen Wolters, 2010. "The Role of Monetary Aggregates in the Policy Analysis of the Swiss National Bank," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 146(I), pages 221-253, March.
- Gebhard KirchgÃ¤ssner & JÃ¼rgen Wolters, 2009. "The Role of Monetary Aggregates in the Policy Analysis of the Swiss National Bank," CREMA Working Paper Series 2009-30, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Gebhard Kirchgässner & Jürgen Wolters, 2010. "The Role of Monetary Aggregates in the Policy Analysis of the Swiss National Bank," CESifo Working Paper Series 2928, CESifo Group Munich.
- Christian Dreger & Jürgen Wolters, 2011.
"Money and Inflation in the Euro Area during the Financial Crisis,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1131, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dreger, Christian & Wolters, Jürgen, 2011. "Money and inflation in the euro area during the financial crisis," Discussion Papers 300, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics.
- Tilak Abeysinghe & Gu Jiaying, 2009.
"Does the IV estimator establish causality? Re-examining Chinese fertility-growth relationship,"
Microeconomics Working Papers
22758, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Tilak Abeysinghe & Jiaying Gu, 2009. "Does the IV estimator establish causality? Re-examining Chinese fertility-growth relationship," SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series 0902, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.