A cautious note on the use of panel models to predict financial crises
AbstractPanel data framework has often been used to build Early Warning Systems for financial crises. This paper questions the implicit assumption that crises are homogenously caused by identical factors. It suggests a preliminary step aiming at forming optimal country clusters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 101 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F37 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Finance Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Aaron Tornell & Andrés Velasco, 1996.
"Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: The Lessons from 1995,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 27(1), pages 147-216.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Aaron Tornell & Andres Velasco, 1996. "Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: The Lessons from 1995," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1759, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Aaron Tornell & Andres Velasco, 1996. "Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: The Lessons from 1995," NBER Working Papers 5576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Inoue, Atsushi & Kilian, Lutz, 2003.
"On the Selection of Forecasting Models,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3809, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Graciela Kaminsky & Saul Lizondo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1998.
"Leading Indicators of Currency Crises,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 1-48, March.
- Graciela Laura Kaminsky, 1997. "Leading Indicators of Currency Crises," IMF Working Papers 97/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1997. "Leading indicators of currency crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1852, The World Bank.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul, 1998. "Leading Indicators of Currency Crises," MPRA Paper 6981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Miguel A. Kiguel & Nissan Liviatan, 1995. "Stopping Three Big Inflations: Argentina, Brazil, and Peru," NBER Chapters, in: Reform, Recovery, and Growth: Latin America and the Middle East, pages 369-414 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. R. M. Perraudin & Manmohan S. Kumar & Uma Moorthy, 2002.
"Predicting Emerging Market Currency Crashes,"
IMF Working Papers
02/7, International Monetary Fund.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1996.
"Currency crashes in emerging markets: An empirical treatment,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 351-366, November.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996. "Currency crashes in emerging markets: an empirical treatment," International Finance Discussion Papers 534, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- George Kapetanios, 2003. "Determining the Poolability of Individual Series in Panel Datasets," Working Papers 499, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Anja Shortland, 2004. "The Role of Politics and Institutions in LDC Currency Devaluations," Discussion Papers in Economics 04/30, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Lestano & Jacobs, Jan & Kuper, Gerard H., 2003.
"Indicators of financial crises do work! : an early-warning system for six Asian countries,"
CCSO Working Papers
200313, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Lestano & Jan Jacobs & Gerard H. Kuper, 2004. "Indicators of financial crises do work! An early-warning system for six Asian countries," International Finance 0409004, EconWPA.
- Lestano & Jan Jacobs & Gerard H. Kuper, 2004. "Indicators of financial crises do work! An early-warning system for six Asian countries," International Finance 0409001, EconWPA.
- Berg, Andrew & Pattillo, Catherine, 1999. "Predicting currency crises:: The indicators approach and an alternative," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 561-586, August.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2002.
"Towards a new early warning system of financial crises,"
Working Paper Series
0145, European Central Bank.
- Bussiere, Matthieu & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2006. "Towards a new early warning system of financial crises," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 953-973, October.
- Fratzscher, Marcel & Matthieu Bussiere, 2003. "Towards A New Early Warning System of Financial Crises," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 81, Royal Economic Society.
- Andrew Berg & Rebecca N. Coke, 2004. "Autocorrelation-Corrected Standard Errors in Panel Probits," IMF Working Papers 04/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Evrensel, Ayse Y. & Kutan, Ali M., 2006. "Creditor moral hazard in stock markets: Empirical evidence from Indonesia and Korea," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 640-654, June.
- Giovanni Caggiano & Pietro Calice & Leone Leonida, 2013. "Working Paper 190 - Early Warning Systems and Systemic Banking Crises in Low Income Countries: A Multinomial Logit Approach," Working Paper Series 993, African Development Bank.
- Dieter Gerdesmeier & Hans‐Eggert Reimers & Barbara Roffia, 2010.
"Asset Price Misalignments and the Role of Money and Credit,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 377-407, Winter.
- Gerdesmeier, Dieter & Roffia, Barbara & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 2009. "Asset price misalignments and the role of money and credit," Working Paper Series 1068, European Central Bank.
- Candelon Bertrand & Dumitrescu Elena-Ivona & Hurlin Christophe, 2010. "How to evaluate an Early Warning System? Towards a United Statistical Framework for Assessing Financial Crises Forecasting Methods," Research Memorandum 046, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Candelon Bertrand & Dumitrescu Elena-Ivona & Hurlin Christophe, 2010.
"Currency Crises Early Warning Systems: why they should be Dynamic,"
047, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Bertrand Candelon & Christophe Hurlin & Elena Dumitnescu, 2014. "Currency Crisis Early Warning Systems: Why They should be Dynamic," Working Papers 2014-161, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Bunda, Irina & Ca' Zorzi, Michele, 2010.
"Signals from housing and lending booms,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Elena-Ivona Dumitrescu & Bertrand Candelon & Christophe Hurlin & Franz C. Palm, 2012. "Multivariate Dynamic Probit Models: An Application to Financial Crises Mutation," Working Papers halshs-00630036, HAL.
- Dieter Gerdesmeier & Hans-Eggert Reimers & Barbara Roffia, 2011. "Early Warning Indicators for Asset Price Booms," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 1, pages 1-19, June.
- Mohammad Karimi & Marcel-Cristian Voia, 2011. "Empirics of Currency Crises: A Duration Analysis Approach," Carleton Economic Papers 11-11, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Klomp, Jeroen, 2010. "Causes of banking crises revisited," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 72-87, March.
- David M. Kemme & Saktinil Roy, 2012. "Did the Recent Housing Boom Signal the Global Financial Crisis?," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 999-1018, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.